quick drawing i did on my downtime at work

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
So. Before I try to improve on my design and wast time . What do y'all think of this rough sketch?

Attachments

• IMG_20130719_134900_746-1-1.jpg
    IMG_20130719_134900_746-1-1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 226

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I agree whole heatedly. I think I just worded it wrong. I have spent many hours getting to this point. What I meant was waste time doing it wrong , practice dont make perfect. But perfect practice makes perfect. I merely meant I don't want to get in the bad habit of drawing wrong. And have to work on reprogramming myself. I did not mean to offend the trade . I am sorry if the way I worded it came out wrong. But thanks for speaking out. I think I really need to watch how I word things from now on

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
I like the fold overs. There is a lot of negative space though, that will take a while to stipple or remove.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I would also like to add , I sketch when I can at work. And when I get home I redraw a more details cleaner pic of my sketching . This was the first time I really liked what I sketch and wanted to redraw it cleaner and in more detail. I just wanted to see what others thought before I redrew this particular pic. If there are big issues with my base structure. I'm sure I will draw some leaves different. But the base design is what counts right off. If I keep thinking ( hey) this is really good , bit in fact its not then well. I'm not helping myself at all. I have compared the base structure to engravings of the elite in the trade and thought it was sound enough to get your ( other engravers) opinion on it. I do not want anyone to think I'm not paying my dues. I hope anyone reading this takes it how I mean it . I respect all that have helped me and hope to oneday help others in the same way.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Glstrcowboy, I did notice to negative space, wasn't sure how to fill the voids without cluttering it. Thanks on the fold over comment I drew countless leaves until I got to where I like what I'm producing. Still having problems with shading though.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What kind of job do you have that you can sketch at work? Are you a farmer?
You are at a critical stage in learning how to develop your own style that will set you apart from the rest. Sift through all future suggestions and make it work for your style.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jared, I like the shape of most leaves, like already said, very nice foldovers but there is something missing in the flow to the right.
I think the flower on the right side (or the split leaves) is/are to heavy and to straight.
But for someting inbetween working space it´s a very nice practice and design, if you work it out it can become something very nice, so absolutely not wasted time.

tkelch

I am pretty new to engraving also and doing a lot more drawing than engraving right now. That said, I like this so far the only thing that jumps out to me is the top left scroll comes out of the of the fold over to sharply.

Tom Kelch

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
an unusual style to my eye, but i like it. i've contacted your boss, he's going to give you a "talking to" about fiddling around on the job.

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
I think it could be kind of cool. It certainly isn't traditional, but that doesn't make it bad. It reminds me of a style that I have seen in leather work. If you look at the left hand side of your sketch it looks like you are going into a normal "Nautilus" style scroll, and I think if you continued on that path you might make a better composition. Your leaf shapes have some promise, and the more you draw/engrave them the more you will learn what will and what won't work. The thin tendrils look cool, but would be very difficult to cut in real life.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To me the design looks very heavy on the top and especially the top left. It's like you started there and worked down and to the right.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys. will look at the issues stated.. I am a maint tech at a chicken processing plant. I did not draw this in one sitting. Hear and there I had 2-3 mins to draw. Didn't get a lunch break today so I lost 30 mins of drawing time. Thanks for understanding what I said earlier. I am never trying to stur anything up.

I will redraw it in better detail and work on a few issues. Will post pic of my outcome.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Draw the backbones first. Make sure the backbones are balanced. Build the leaves off the backbone.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
" Draw the backbones first. Make sure the backbones are balanced. Build the leaves off the backbone."

I am with the Beat here.

Rough sketches are great for your 'art' ideas. When you feel you are on to something, you must get your flow and geometry making sense by isolating the backbones, and see if they make sense and have elegance. Do not have a kind of a, maybe straight line element, is it or ain't it, change that to an elegant curve that makes sense.

Let us see your skeleton backbone, and get some feedback on that. Then add your art ideas onto the improved backbone, and post once more for some feedback. That way everyone wins, as we enter into the process by thinking about your design, you get us thinking, and that is good for us too, no?

The rough sketch shows promise for, say, a nice brooch or pendant design.

Just my two bits, Jared, something nice could come out of this good start.

Rock on

Rod

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jared

The trouble is I see this so often where beginners ignore the basics, skip the swimming lessons, leap in the deep of the pool and simply drown.

I'll be brutally honest with you…………the drawing is pretty bad. It can't be critiqued because there is nothing to work on. It's all over the place without any structure, flow or balance. It's basically a bit of random doodling and way beyond salvaging. Do yourself a favour and start again.

That's the bad news. The good news is that you seem to be able to use a pencil and paper and draw……..you just lack discipline and structure to what you are doing. These are things that have to be learned from the beginning. At this stage the last thing you want is to be trying to figure out your own style. You don't have any, and won't have any till you start getting a few basics right………… From those basics you can start expanding and experimenting to your hearts content.

You don't know good design from bad and you need to learn how to recognise it in others work and especially your own …………….and it can be learned. But it takes discipline.

A question for you……….What exactly are you trying to achieve by drawing this type of thing??? Where do you want to end up with all this?

The answers to those questions are important. They decide your direction. It is that direction that determines what you have to learn. What you learn has to have some sort of foundations to work from. In other words, it's no use drawing cars if you want to draw nudes and visa versa.

If it is scroll you wish to draw……..then practice scroll. Get Ron Smiths book and use it as a work book to teach yourself some basic concepts. Get good at that……..then experiment because you know what you are doing.

If you want to draw something else…….then get an appropriate book and learn the basics of what you are trying to achieve.

I don't say these things to offend you, in fact it is the opposite. But I can see that if you follow the path you are heading down you are in for a whole world of disappointment.

Cheers
Andrew

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Andrew , constructive criticism, no it not a simple basic scroll, in whit I do understand I need to learn better. I normally sketch basic scroll when I'm sketching. I wanted to mix things up a bit and try something a bit more difficult , I Still have a long road ahead I know. Thanks for the words of wisdom. Andrew you don't have to worry about me getting my feelings hurt over being told what I'm doing wrong. That's all part of learning. Thank again everyone.

Latest posts

Sponsors