Critique Request Questions about 1981 Schrade knife "carved" by Hugh McGaugh

Dave Thinkstoomuch

Hi! I'm a new member here and joined up to see if I can find out some info about a knife I just purchased.

I collect vintage Schrade USA knives and while I really love what I see as good engraving, my eye is untrained and I don't really know what is difficult to do and what is less-so. I just know what I like.

The knife in question is "Hand Carved by Hugh McGaugh". I believe that he was a master engraver and jeweler working out of Prescott Valley, AZ up until at least the late 1980s and that he is now deceased.

If anyone is familiar with the man or his work I would love to hear all about it!

Here are my questions about the knife:

1. How would you critique the quality of the engraving work?

2. How rare is this deep "carving" style of hand engraving these days? Is it a dying art?

3. Do you believe the work on this knife could have been done without disassembling and then reassembling the knife? ie: Would you need cutler skills as well to achieve this?

4. Assuming he is a master at doing this technique, how long might it have taken Hugh McGaugh to complete this project? ie: How many hours work?

Please forgive anything you might view as a "stupid question" and explain why you think that so that I won't do it again. Thanks a lot guys!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I would say the engraving quality is average.
Deep relief and/or sculpted engraving is very common.
The knife would have been engraved without disassembly.
How long it took is hard to tell. A day or two maybe?

The coolest part is how the piece is signed in relief lettering. I really like that and am disappointed that the photo is blurry.

Dave Thinkstoomuch

"Deep relief", "sculpted engraving": ahhh now I'm getting the lingo.

Thanks a lot for your very complete reply sam! The signature is indeed very cool. Knife is still on it's way to me and these are pics the seller took (not me). I wish the last photo was clear as well.

When I receive the knife I will scan it and add some better close-ups.

Cheers!

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One thing, other than the signature, that you don't often see is this style of shading on a sculpted piece. I have seen it before but may have been by the same artist. The combination of the two styles is pretty interesting. Much of the engraving of the past has bolder cuts than we often see today. Probably the result of the use of microscopes. I am referring only to average engraving. The past has incredibly detailed work in both deep relief and flat work. Fred

Dave Thinkstoomuch

yes looks nice, but sure even I can do this better, and sure other cafe members can do as well

arnaud

Frank and to the point critique. Fair enough. I checked out your website and the "Engraved running leaf border" ring looks like a similar pattern. Your "Hand engraved Titanium ring with diamonds" is very nicely executed.

One thing, other than the signature, that you don't often see is this style of shading on a sculpted piece. I have seen it before but may have been by the same artist. The combination of the two styles is pretty interesting. Much of the engraving of the past has bolder cuts than we often see today. Probably the result of the use of microscopes. I am referring only to average engraving. The past has incredibly detailed work in both deep relief and flat work. Fred

Thanks for the feedback. I like your use of the term "bold". That's how I see it as well. Maybe "Western" fits too. Couple things I didn't confirm were that the knife was made in 1981 and the horse carving etc would all of been done by the same man as well.

I'm glad no one trashed this knife over the years. It is quite unusual to put the escutcheon on the pile (rear) side of knives only. 99% time if there is only a single escutcheon it will be on the mark (front) side handle. Perhaps that speaks to the possible different views of a jeweler doing a customization versus a cutler and the nail pull was seen as ugly. Cutlers put the shield on the mark side "'cause that's where it goes" nearly automatically. Perhaps it was so that as a right-handed person removed it from the sheath with his index finger on the lock release it would orient the horse for all to see. Refreshing variation from what I see most others do.

Dave Thinkstoomuch

Well, this knife finally arrived and I scanned it thoroughly.

The coolest part is how the piece is signed in relief lettering. I really like that and am disappointed that the photo is blurry.
As promised, detailed scans can be found here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/985024-LB7-engraved-brass-plus-horse-head-in-genuine-ivory!-quot-Hand-Carving-by-Hugh-McGaugh-quot

One thing, other than the signature, that you don't often see is this style of shading on a sculpted piece. I have seen it before but may have been by the same artist. The combination of the two styles is pretty interesting. Fred

I do like the shading technique. Check out the link for serious detailed close-up scans.

Thanks again gentleman for your opinions and expertise!

Latest posts

Sponsors