Question: Question on GRS diamond wheels and graver material

garyue

HI All:

I'm Gary from Massachusetts. USA

I have a question regarding a new GRS Power hone.

I just got a new 260 grit diamond wheel. I shaped and sharpened 2 Glensteel gravers a 120 and a 90. I went thru the grits 600, 1200 and cerimac lap then charged leather.. All using the GRS Dual Angle fixture.. The gravers look great and cut smooth and clean. I also sharpened a GRS Liner after roughing it to shape on a bench grinder.

Now my question is, I have only sharpened these 3 gravers and the area on the 260 grit GRS diamond wheel seems to be much smoother than the centre of the wheel which has not been used and it does not cut like it did at first.

Did I do something wrong?? I have Sam's graver sharpening video and I followed it..

Could I have a bad wheel or did I do something wrong.. Using steel on a diamond wheel ???

Or could it be that the diamond wheel just needed a break-in period, and now it will always cut like this???

I Figured I'd ask the PRO's..

Thank you for taking the time to read this..

GaryD

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
new diamond wheels, esp. coarser grades, will definitely show wear right away. once they're broke in, you can use them for years- decades on an occasional basis. i have a 600 gr. disk that's 30+ yrs old and i still use it. it's probably more like an 800 now...

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Garyue: Wash The Wheel With Soapy Water And A Tooth Brush. The Wheel Will Load Up With Metal Dust, So Keep It Clean. Also If You Can Put Some Liquid On It While Your Grinding A Tool, Such As Windex, It Will Help Slurry Off Metal Particles As You Grind. You Need To Build An Enclosure Around The Wheel to Catch The Liquid As It Flies Off The Wheel, Cardboard Works Good. The Wheel Will Probably Never Cut Like A New One Now, So Sweep The Tool Across The Wheel From Outside To Inside As You Grind. This Will Help Spread Out The Load On The Wheel And Extend It's Life. I Have A 25 Year Old 600 Grit Wheel That Still Cuts But More Like A 1200 Grit. There Are Also 180 And 100 Grit Wheels Available To, And Are Better For Hogging Material.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've also been using a "600" for a very long time. never wears out. if it does, you can somehow rejuvenate it-- possibly to a finer grit ?
not real sure on this.

Sponsors