Question for the buckle makers

firephil

What is the proper and most efficient way to make a buckle tongue? All my thoughts that come to mind seem to involve a lot of work. I haven't tried it yet. Thanks

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
for all my buckle backs-- i keep it cheap, quick, and easy. for the d-ring 2 tubes of brass, copper, or stainless. for the hook, .125 brass or stainless wire. i form the ring, then slide a tube on the open ring ends. i then solder the tubes in place. the last step--- soldering the formed hook in place. i use pre shaped blocks of graphite to hold the things in place to prevent movement during soldering. i place a very heavy piece of copper between the d ring and hook to act as a heat sink. for silver buckles, i don't make the few i've engraved. i used "store-bought" blanks. i've made about 1500 buckles this way. only 1 in that number was ever returned for ring or hook failure !

Attachments

• buckle back.jpg
    buckle back.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

wdale.bass

If you will PM me I will help you if you are making the classic D buckles,I have made Lots of them and can tell you how to make the JIG for your buckle tongues.

Foster

Paul Kelleher posted a good tutorial on bending buckle tongues on one of the bit and spur maker forums. I use a similar method to bend mine. The tongue can enhance or detract from a buckle depending on how well it's made and in my opinion it's worth putting a little effort into. Here's the link to the tutorial.

http://bitsandspurs.freeforums.org/post12360.html#p12360

Sponsors