Question for experienced case hardened colt engravers

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Question for Colt engravers.
Does a case hardened 3rd gen. Colt need to be annealed before engraving or is it just a superficial coloring?
My bud, Al Scott, annealed his Colts and recase hardened them after engraving, but I don't want to go there.
Thanks
Jeff

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon, where are you. I'd like to see more on this subject as I have a 3rd gen that is begging to be cut.
Layne

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
All Colt SAA's have real CCH and need to be annealed prior to engraving. Most Italian Colt clones can be cut through their chemical colors.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks y'all.
Recase hardening is something I fear due to oxidation/scaling. Same for the annealing proces.
Will stick to uncase hardened stock.
Jeff

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The REAL fear in annealing/recase hardening is having the part bend or not getting good colors. You can easily control oxidation and scaling with stainless steel foil wrap and not exposing the part to air before the quench!

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To anneal:
If you have access to a kiln, wrap the frame in stainless foil, with half a paper business card and heat to 1300f for an hour or so, then unplug the furnace and allow to cool for 6 hours or so.
If you don't have a furnace, put it in an open steel container and cover with clean dry sand, and run it through a cycle in the self cleaning oven.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
barry: that's a wonderful way to achieve an otherwise expensive step in the engraving process. thanks for sending this.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doug Turnbull is one of the best in the industry. Re case hardening is tricky business. Parts easily warp. You need someone who knows what they are doing and Doug and his guys know their stuff. Our shop has used Turnbull in the past and always had great service.
Thanks Barry for that little annealing tip! I've never annealed one before but will have to do it soon. Luckily I have a burnout oven. The self cleaning oven tip is priceless!
Layne

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are welcome.
Turnbull does an excellent job of coloring.
I have the case color kit from Brownells, which works well also, but it is not as quick or easy as sending to Dougie.

Last edited:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks yall!

I realize my limitations, which is why I was trying to circumnavigate annealing/recase hardening.
Or, just annealing/blueing.
My fuddled (Roger :biggrin: )memory says that Al Scott once told me you could anneal the frame without fear of warpage, BUT, the barrel is another story, requiring stabilizing rods, etc.
Best just to pick up a blue or nickle Colt.

Not being able to read or write, Al, was an amazing person. I think it's like losing your right hand and
learning to function with your left or losing your sight and your hearing becomes supercharged.
His brain went into warp speed, due to his dyslexia, and allowed him to figure out ways around obstacles, without the internet. His pride wouldn't allow him to ask how to do something.
This pretty much relates to one of our recent discussions concerning the want to/gimmee nature of the present generation.
Or, as Socrates once said, "When you want knowledge, like you wanted air, THEN you will learn". :beatup:

Al used to laugh at us mere mortals, saying that we , have college degrees, plenty of money and the internet but are still too stupid to figure out simple problems on our own.

RIP Al.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Colt barrels are not case hardened so why would you want to anneal a barrel? They cut fine the way they are.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks yall!

I realize my limitations, which is why I was trying to circumnavigate annealing/recase hardening.
Or, just annealing/blueing.
My fuddled (Roger :biggrin: )memory says that Al Scott once told me you could anneal the frame without fear of warpage, BUT, the barrel is another story, requiring stabilizing rods, etc.
Best just to pick up a blue or nickle Colt.

Not being able to read or write, Al, was an amazing person. I think it's like losing your right hand and
learning to function with your left or losing your sight and your hearing becomes supercharged.
His brain went into warp speed, due to his dyslexia, and allowed him to figure out ways around obstacles, without the internet. His pride wouldn't allow him to ask how to do something.
This pretty much relates to one of our recent discussions concerning the want to/gimmee nature of the present generation.
Or, as Socrates once said, "When you want knowledge, like you wanted air, THEN you will learn". :beatup:

Al used to laugh at us mere mortals, saying that we , have college degrees, plenty of money and the internet but are still too stupid to figure out simple problems on our own.

RIP Al.

For my records, do you know Alvin Scott's date of death?

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Marty
Don't know why Al annealed the barrel or even if he did. :confused:
I just know that he stuck a rod in it, packed it in cow bone pieces and fired it up.
May have been color case hardening it?
Jeff

Latest posts

Sponsors