Question About Work Bench Set Up

kfryer

Hello!
I have always wanted to try out engraving & last week I took my first pneumatic engraving course! I am hooked and eager to get my work area set up so I can start practicing! A question I thought of as I am setting up my own work area is if a banding wheel is essential? Currently I have the GRS standard block shelf attached to my bench. I set my engraving block on the shelf and I am able to sit comfortably and see my work via microscope. My engraving ball rotates smoothly and also is capable of being locked in place. With this set up, could I get started engraving, even without a banding wheel? I don’t think I’ll be able to fit a banding wheel on this shelf, and this is the space I currently have to work with. I am thinking that it will work, but looking for feedback. I have attached a picture of my set up to show. Thank you in advance for any feedback and advice!

Attachments

• 84F509B1-2479-4EFB-8CDD-69236E17B863.jpeg
    84F509B1-2479-4EFB-8CDD-69236E17B863.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 64

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not sure what a banding wheel is. for me, yer setup looks a bit restrictive or cramped. certainly you can make this work. take a close look at your posture when seated at the scope. your back should be fairly straight. you must work in comfort or pain will surely visit. you're very wise to have taken a course. don't forget design/ drawing principles. just as important as all the other stuff one need master. good luck

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
Welcome Kfryer, the question of the need for a “banding wheel / pottery wheel / turntable” depends on the the size of the objects you wish to engrave currently and the amount that is visible through your scope.

If the vise is centered under the scope and you place a practice plate that is 2” by 2” in the center of the vise, you will be able to turn the vise and cut the center of the plate while remaining within the view of the scope “lets say 1 inch circle if your zoomed in”.

The problem arises when you want to cut the corner of the plate, if you scoot the vise over “off center of scope” to view side of the plate under hi magnification then once you turn the vise a little to start cutting the piece will disappear from view.

The addition of the banding wheel solves the issue. The scope is centered on the wheel, and the vise is locked to not spin. Then under magnification the 1 inch circle of view can be located anywhere on the plate and be turned without disappearing from view.

Hope this helps and have fun on this wonderful journey. BB

JJ Roberts

I engraving standing over a pedestal found I had better control over the tools H&C or power assist. J.J.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Hello!
I have always wanted to try out engraving & last week I took my first pneumatic engraving course! I am hooked and eager to get my work area set up so I can start practicing! A question I thought of as I am setting up my own work area is if a banding wheel is essential? Currently I have the GRS standard block shelf attached to my bench. I set my engraving block on the shelf and I am able to sit comfortably and see my work via microscope. My engraving ball rotates smoothly and also is capable of being locked in place. With this set up, could I get started engraving, even without a banding wheel? I don’t think I’ll be able to fit a banding wheel on this shelf, and this is the space I currently have to work with. I am thinking that it will work, but looking for feedback. I have attached a picture of my set up to show. Thank you in advance for any feedback and advice!
Kfryer, looks like you jumped in with both feet! I think a high quality palm vise you can rotate freely negates the band wheel. Not a rule , my opinion only. Good luck.

Mike576

I have a similar setup although home made. Perhaps you could flip that work surface upside and attach a 1/4 inch steel plate like I have so you have a larger work surface for a banding wheel.
You can do some engraving without a turn table but gets annoying to constantly go out of microscope view. The banding wheel helps to keep things in view because you can move the vise around thereby re-centering to a new spot inline with the scope.
I use the small stainless steel top for when doing bulino work and the larger table top with the banding wheel for everything else.

Attachments

• IMG_3113.jpeg
    IMG_3113.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3041.jpeg
    IMG_3041.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 43

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Without a banding wheel you might find some frustration with your microscope.. you can switch to optivisor. And your setup will be perfect.

Latest posts

Sponsors