Question about Antique Engraving in Brass

Tailor

Hi there

I have an antique box with engraved brass handles (see photo). My question is, how has the engraver managed to create the almost black highlighted shading within the engraved incisions?

I have seen normal engraving where the incisions simply have a different textured finish, but not so they look highlighted in black like this example.

Can anyone explain this process to me?

Many thanks

engraved.jpg

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brass, copper bronze, it oxidises black. The upper level has the yellow colour, as the oxide will be removed by using or touching the object.
The cuts itself aren't worn off, You could make them have its original colour using chemicals, but sure it looks better this way.

arnaud

Tailor

Hi there Arnaud

Thank you so much for answering my question. I am so pleased to know about this now.

I have another box also with an engraved brass handle (see photo below) but this one doesnt seem to have the black highlights. Why hasnt this piece oxidised like the other one?

Many thanks again

antique-brass-handle-from-antique-walnut-box.jpg

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Interesting pull, what is it on since it doesn't show a lot of expected wear. Arnaud is correct but interesting that it doesn't show polish residue. Nice piece, any other info you will share?
Mark

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
T second pull might be cut to shallow to hold the oxide or may have a perfective coating or may have been polished recently or any or all of the above. Both are very nice either way-Fred

Tailor

Thank you for all your responses. Can I just confirm something; was the oxidising mentioned here naturally occurring in the incisions or was a special solution applied to create this effect when the box was originally made?

Handle 2 was recently polished but might have been originally gilded.

Many thanks

antique-jewelry-box-02.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tailor, Just an educated guess but I would say that the first handle had the oxidation added intentionally and the second was protected from oxidation in some manner, as you say some type of gilding, plating or finish. Quit a nice box by the way. Lovely wood and finish. Fred

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've found a near instant way to get this effect. get a can of "brasso". use as directed, and it's almost a guarantee that you'll get a good contrast.

Latest posts

Sponsors