Quality

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Does the quality of copy paper make a difference in the transfer system with pigment ink? Maybe some thoughtful insight from friends here please?

Mike576

I have not noticed a difference, a few times I even used heady duty card stock type paper since I was out of regular printer paper.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
You referenced using pigment ink, so I assume that you are using an inkjet, not a laser printer. Printing laser toner on paper and transferring by dampening the paper with acetone is a common transfer method when using a laser printer. When using an inkjet, dye inks do not work but pigment inks printed on a transparency film [not paper] and transferred to metal that has been prepared with Tom White's Transfer Magic or a similar receptive coating such as from a Prismacolor blending pen works well. I have never heard of a successful transfer using pigment ink from an inkject printed on paper.

papart1

I have not noticed a difference, a few times I even used heady duty card stock type paper since I was out of regular printer paper.
thanks Mike576,,,,,,,,,,,,,just wondering

papart1

You referenced using pigment ink, so I assume that you are using an inkjet, not a laser printer. Printing laser toner on paper and transferring by dampening the paper with acetone is a common transfer method when using a laser printer. When using an inkjet, dye inks do not work but pigment inks printed on a transparency film [not paper] and transferred to metal that has been prepared with Tom White's Transfer Magic or a similar receptive coating such as from a Prismacolor blending pen works well. I have never heard of a successful transfer using pigment ink from an inkject printed on paper.
I'm using TW transfer system now, also white dykem which is equal to TW. Have not tried prizmacolor, what color if PTZ do you suggest Allen?

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
I'm using TW transfer system now, also white dykem which is equal to TW. Have not tried prizmacolor, what color if PTZ do you suggest Allen?
The original Prismacolor one was the blender pen. Since then, I see many engravers using the 40% gray one. It has worked for me and is easy to use, but I like the TW Transfer Magic better. That could be my old-school brain kicking in. However, to be clear, none of them will work well if you are printing ink on paper. You need to print the ink on an inkjet transparency film sheet to make it easier to burnish the back of the film and transfer the ink to the prepared surface. The recognized cream of the crop is Pictorico OHP Transparency Film, but many less expensive ones also work well. Tom White sells a film that works well with his Transfer Magic, but I do not know what film that is. You can find more discussions of this in the archives section on this website.

papart1

yes Allen I'm aware of the procedure, and am getting fonder of dykem white and fixion film

Latest posts

Sponsors