Help, please: Quality jewelry saw advice

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a saw frame with the same gripping mechanism as knew concept. That's all that has kept me from getting one. I find on the one I have smaller saw blades slip out all the time. No such problem in my German or Swiss frames.
The big difference can indeed be in the blades. Cheap blades may wander. Perhaps the cut of the teeth, or something. A real pain to be fighting it the whole time.
Occasionally I have to torque my saw frame one way or the other... Something I understand would not be necessary w the knew concept.
G

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I used the regular cheap saw frames for 30+ years and they worked OK. I now own the Knew Concepts saw frame and it's much nicer. I wish they would have been available when I was young. It's built to last for a lifetime.

As for saw blades (or tools in general)... nothing is more frustrating than cheap tools. Cheap jeweler saw blades are no exception. I found the Rio Grande Laser Gold blades to be my favorite. They are made in Switzerland and have a rounded back side for easier cutting of curves. I recommend buying the best tools you can possibly afford and keep them for a lifetime.

What size Blades in the Laser Gold do you use for cutting inlays for silver and gold sheet?

Donny

johninok

I use 5/0 blades for the most part.Good balance between smooth cut and speed, cut about as intricate as you want.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yea I got one a year or so ago, works great ,handle is real comfy must be something ok with them he can't keep them in stock, although the production ones are water jet or lazer cut.

Also a comment on Lee Marshall's saw, I had a small problem and had to send it back to him, it was returned working perfect also with a$5 bill inside to cover my shipping cost. That's customer service.
Carlos sorry for hijacking this thread

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did a combination, I guess you can call it the best of both worlds, bought the saw Paolo and others recommended, and the gold blades that were recommended in several sizes, there is a mill I'm looking at next, something Brian Powley recommended.

Saludos,

Carlos

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
I spend several hours (and sometimes more) a week with a jewelers saw in my hand. I can't say enough good about the Knew concepts saws. To me they have a balance and feel to them that the cheaper ones don't have. The one Dave London put the link to looks interesting, I'd sure like to try it.

Stewart

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i guess i'm behind the techno curve. i bought an old "junker" from gesswein almost 40 years ago. was made in germany. the damn thing still works. i guess i got a defective one. things are made to break down., certainly not last 40 years !

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have an older German one that I like. I bought a Knew Concept with a 5" depth, for cutting bracelet lengths etc. and it doesn't cut straight, so I use my German.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
I have used a couple of www.ottofrei.com/Grobet-Swiss-Made-Jewelers-Sawframe-2-3-4-70mm-Deep.html , frames for about 16 years and have had fine luck with them, but I also have several other type of frames with different depths, and they have also work fine. I think the biggest problem that I have had with saw frames over the years is one or two that we got where the frame was not straight, and that twisted the blade a bit.
Carlos I think you will be happy with the Rio Gold blades, I have also used them for years, and have had great luck with them.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Inspired on this threat i bought a knew concept saw it arrived today and i tested it. I really like it you can get the tension to the limit. And every saw blade has the same tension when you pull the lever to the other side It cuts straight and it will be one of my favorite tools. One thing is the price. My old saw is a German about 6€ it cuts also very well and the knew concepts saw is about 70€ and thats the smalest one with 3´

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are all talking about Jewelersaw, but as far as I remember well, originally it was called a Watchmaker's Saw
I still have an very old one like this. It still does everything it should.

arnaud

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
and it doesn't cut straight,

this made me remember something i thought about a long time ago when i was doing a project that involved a lot of sawing. jeweler saw blades should be made in different widths, not just tooth spacings. sometimes you need a fairly fine tooth count for thinner material and/or smoother cuts, but otherwise no tight curves in the design. it would be nice to have a blade that's maybe .050"-.075" front-to-back/teeth-to-spine for better tracking on long sweeping curves or straight lines. a range of thicknesses would be desirable, as well. unfortunately, the finer the teeth, the finer the overall blade size- an 8/0 looks like a hair. saws for wood come in a wide variety of sizes & teeth spacing (also tooth forms, which isn't necessary for jeweler's saws) for various cutting situations.

Georgey

My saw frame which I have had used almost every day for the last 30 years...... it does like me get Christmas day off!!

Have always used Glardon Vallorbe blades 2/0, most cheap blades don't cut straight.

Adjustable frames are not necessary, tend to be bottom heavy in weight distribution.

A bit of beeswax or cutting lube also recommended.

Attachments

• DSCN1406.jpg
    DSCN1406.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 58

Latest posts

Sponsors