Qing Dao - Chinese Sword Fitting, Openwork,

charles wu

Qing Dao - Chinese Sword Fitting, Openwork,
Share also Here.
The current custom project, welcome comments.

the finish one will be post soon.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow Charles, what a beautyful piece of work, every time again I am amazed about your work.
That deep sculpting is realy great !!!

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Charles,

Impressive work! Can't wait to see the pictures of the finished piece.

Can you desrcibe the steps of the process to achieve this? I am curious about the way you remove the material upto a gap. Do you use piercing or just your graver?

charles wu

Charles,

Impressive work! Can't wait to see the pictures of the finished piece.

Can you desrcibe the steps of the process to achieve this? I am curious about the way you remove the material upto a gap. Do you use piercing or just your graver?

Hora, try to see close the forth picture, you will find all the informations, under the copper plate, sealwax inside it. we only use the chisels to cut it.
You can imagine it like wood carving. dig out the metals we do not want.

And try to search my other posts here, and you will catch more information.

Is that clear? please let me know. if not, may be i need to make a short videos for that.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice! :thumbs up:

Let me see if I have the work sequence figured out:

1) You form the piece and paint it with something white, then put (draw directly?) your design on it.

2) You engrave the main lines.

3) You do a whole lot of work with punches (mostly) to sculpt the piece and to texture things. Are the scales on the dragon engraved or punched?

4) You use chisels (like wood chisels) to cut down through the metal to your wax filler to cut away the parts you don't want in the finished piece. Looks like they get driven pretty much straight down although I suppose some are angled a bit to give the cut edge the shape you want. Looks like you have a lot of different chisels so you can match different curves and angles.

5) Since you said you use wax for the filler then I assume you just heat everything up to get the wax out and let the cut pieces come free, followed by a bit of clean up to make it look nice for the picture (and probably to make it easier to check your work).

Finishing to follow.

Did I get it right?

I may have to come up with some similar chisels - that seems like a much faster way to do a pierced piece than using a jeweler's saw, at least for pieces where you can use them.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Charles, Fantastic!! You execution of these pieces are wonderful. This and the other threads with step by step are great learning tools. Thank you for taking the time to share and instruct-Fred

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
charles: i am always delighted to see your exquisite and beautiful art.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Charles; Without a doubt, you are the heaviest dude on the block. Extremely cool, my friend, I love seeing your stuff and knowing it's all done with hand tools gives it an ancient quality that it could have been that way 1000 years ago.

charles wu

Steve, Yes, you are right. Thanks your time,
and see my below wu's marks in BLUE

Very nice! :thumbs up:

Let me see if I have the work sequence figured out:

1) You form the piece and paint it with something white, then put (draw directly?) your design on it.

Wu's marks, both way, glue design on, or draw directly.

2) You engrave the main lines.

Wu's marks, yes. like a print process

3) You do a whole lot of work with punches (mostly) to sculpt the piece and to texture things. Are the scales on the dragon engraved or punched?

Wu's marks, in our definition, there are no Very fine distinctions between the chisels. as most of the chisels you called are used for engrave also. if have to make a distinguish, i would like to call most of the chisels are engrave ones. and some of the chisels are the punch ones. like textures chisels.im not sure, i guess i need a Chines to English translator to make clear this. :beat up:

4) You use chisels (like wood chisels) to cut down through the metal to your wax filler to cut away the parts you don't want in the finished piece. Looks like they get driven pretty much straight down although I suppose some are angled a bit to give the cut edge the shape you want. Looks like you have a lot of different chisels so you can match different curves and angles.

Wu's marks, yes, that's why we have hundreds of chisels after the years.

5) Since you said you use wax for the filler then I assume you just heat everything up to get the wax out and let the cut pieces come free, followed by a bit of clean up to make it look nice for the picture (and probably to make it easier to check your work).

Wu's marks, yes.

Finishing to follow.

Did I get it right?

I may have to come up with some similar chisels - that seems like a much faster way to do a pierced piece than using a jeweler's saw, at least for pieces where you can use them.

Wu's marks, haha, you need a try then share with us your conclusion :tiphat:

charles wu

:yes thank you a lot

Charles; Without a doubt, you are the heaviest dude on the block. Extremely cool, my friend, I love seeing your stuff and knowing it's all done with hand tools gives it an ancient quality that it could have been that way 1000 years ago.

Yesterday 02:24 AM
monk charles: i am always delighted to see your exquisite and beautiful art.

Yesterday 12:04 AM
david bain A happy dragon.very good work.I enjoy seeing you're work Charles.

08-24-2010 09:59 PM
Marrinan Charles, Fantastic!! You execution of these pieces are wonderful. This and the other threads with step by step are great learning tools. Thank you for taking the time to share and instruct-Fred

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Charles

Glad I figured it out. :)

I can see how a lot of your chisels would be 'engraving' chisels if you cut into the metal and 'cutting' chisels if you cut through the metal with only a few of them used exclusively (or almost exclusively) just one way.

I'll have to make myself a couple of chisels suited to cutting down through metal - mine are all intended just to cut down into it. I have two different templates for my Lindsay sharpening system that will easily make a 'cut through' chisel point: the Roland Baptise Inlay point and the Carl Bleille Scraper. Both make a point kind of like a flat-bladed screwdriver so all I need to do is form the point as usual and then 'oversharpen' it into a sharp blade. Or I can just free-hand one - a basic blade like that's pretty simple but will be enough to let me try the technique.

charles wu

Do you make your own sealing wax for chasing?What is the recipe please?

In fact, we do not the exactly recipe. but i will try to get an ideal on that. sorry.

ok, see the more photos

Qing Dynasty Qing Dao Handmade Fittings –Qing Dynasty Saber - Openwork

charles wu

more photos about
Qing Dynasty Qing Dao Handmade Fittings –Qing Dynasty Saber - Openwork

Custom Openwork Handmade Chinese Sword Fitting Project by 9 Dragon Metalwork Studio

Latest posts

Sponsors