Critique Request Putting a little english on it

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So with the new year, I've determined that I really want to improve my skills. Hence, I'm trying to practice engraving at least an hour or more every day. My goal is work on something that I find pleasing.....

So, I really like the english style scrolls and in particular the ones that I see quite often engraved by Rex Pedersen and Marty Rabeno. After some searching the archives of the cafe, I found an image that Rex had posted to Hora some time ago about English scroll. This was the thread> http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?8010-English-scroll-work&highlight=english+scroll

So I save the image to my hard drive, played with a bit in photoshop to adjust the contrast to make a better transfer. After transfering the image to the metal I set out to engrave it. I really wanted to get a feel for the cuts, which is why I opted for the transfer method vs struggling with it to figure out the "rythm" and spacing.

I also posted the image I transferred after I adjusted to grayscale and tweaked the contrast.

Please....I'd like any and all critiques of my cutting!!

english scroll practice.jpg rex petersen english scroll cropped.jpg

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
I really like the fine work you have presented, smooth even. Just well done, I am not experienced enough to judge your work but I do know when I like something or not. Very,very nice indeed.

scott99

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
very nice work. you can sell your work if you "practice" on items like pendants, earrings, bracelets and such. money clips--when you get paid for your work, it's all the more rewarding. not just the money, but your attitude-- which will make you get better without even thinking about it.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bert, maybe you should go in business. Maybe open a jewelry store. 8)

LOL!!! I actually plan to do something with this design and some gemstones.

But to be honest, I really like engraving steel over previous metals. I'm working on getting an FFL as I want to start working on guns.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
ive got some similar designs being cut onto old silver coins with gemstones in the center, or off to one side.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm not an English scroll expert, in fact I never tried it myself. To me it looks nice but probably others like Marcus Hunt think different about this. I'm curious about that.

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's some very nice cutting, Bert. Good graver control there buddy!

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat: That's some nice looking work, GTJC460! I like that circular design used with the English scrolls:thumbsup: My congrats! Paulie