IMG_0050.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 351

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A thousand thanks for showing this, Dave! Prudhomme was an early hero of mine.

That gun would have been engraved in this vise.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very cool Sam.
This was a friend from my old peace officers days , he also has a revolver engraved by E.C.
I might get to see it soon. He told me the Prudhomme told him it took 350 hrs to do this work on the 1911

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Dave, that's a really nice gun your friend has!

Sam that looks just like the vise I have donut too, just not as worn... never knew the make, what kind is it?

Sam

Staff member
Thanks Dave, that's a really nice gun your friend has!

Sam that looks just like the vise I have donut too, just not as worn... never knew the make, what kind is it?

Prudhomme's vise is a Muehlmatt "Victor" with a 1912 patent date. It was available with the round wooden base as in the photo. In 1980 Prudhomme told me he'd been engraving 50 years.

Dave: Would love to see some pics of the revolver if you get the chance.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam,What is the weight of Mr. Prudhomme's vise?I have two Victor's one 16lb. and one 12lb. J.J.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Has anyone ever thought of establishing a museum dedicated just to the art of engraving. Recognizing the history as well as all aspects of the art, not just firearms. Perhaps the NRA would be willing to set aside a part of their facility and dedicate it only to the engravers art.

JJ Roberts

tdelewis,The NRA has a large class case with just engraved guns and the first power assist engraving tool designed by John Murphy,I know the curators Phil Schreier and Doug Wichlund and will see them at the next gun show and ask them about. J.J.

Sam

Staff member
I have a lot of stuff on display in my home and in my studio. Kind of a mini-museum that my students can see and touch. I agree that there needs to be a place for these things though. I have a some great stuff from Prudhomme, McKenzie, Ken Hunt, and others.

JJ: I'll get a weight on the vise.

monk

Staff member
Has anyone ever thought of establishing a museum dedicated just to the art of engraving. Recognizing the history as well as all aspects of the art, not just firearms. Perhaps the NRA would be willing to set aside a part of their facility and dedicate it only to the engravers art.

i can't recall who started it, maybe mr. prudhomme. perhaps roger bleile. i can't remember. a group of engravers were to engrave a 1x3" steel plate.i think mr prudhomme was going to establish a museum in shreveport. in any event, i sent my plate to his home address. not sure what ever happened to the plates he received. as i recall, a plate was issued to each fega member at the time. my memory aint what it used to be--

monk

Staff member
thanks for showing this, dave. mr. prudhomme was a man of many talents. amongst them, he was a pro wrestler for a period of time. in contrast, we all know his talent and passion for engraving. in his day, he was a frequent flyer in the gun magazines. he, as well as a few other engravers kind of brought this art to the public eye in the various gun magazines. without them, where would the engraving arts be ??

JJ Roberts

monk,I asked Ron Smith about those plates that Mr. Prudhomme sent to all us members FEGA and Ron told me they were on display in a art galley in Shreveport I have a letter from Mr. Prudhomme asking me about the game scene I engraved. J.J.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
monk,I asked Ron Smith about those plates that Mr. Prudhomme sent to all us members FEGA and Ron told me they were on display in a art galley in Shreveport I have a letter from Mr. Prudhomme asking me about the game scene I engraved. J.J.

thanks, jj. all these years, i never knew for sure where the plates ended up. perhaps i misunderstood, i thought prudhomme was entering these in a museum of his own creation.

Sam

Staff member
Monk: The museum is the Norton Museum. (Dick?) Norton was a friend of Prudhomme's and commissioned several gun engravings.

monk

Staff member
Monk: The museum is the Norton Museum. (Dick?) Norton was a friend of Prudhomme's and commissioned several gun engravings.

tyvm, sam. did you ever meet prudhomme in person ? i talked with him a couple times on the phone. he seemed to be the type guy you would want to know and have as a friend.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The NRA Sporting Arms Museum in the Bass Pro in Springfield, MO has a case dedicated to engraved arms. Given the small size of the space (it's shoehorned into the space over part of the store) it's a fairly significant part of the museum.