Protects engraving metal to avoid oxidized

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello thanks for the suggestion, but could you indicate me a type of soft steel and with little oxidation. I've used SAE 1020 1045 is very soft with 0.2% and 0.4% carbon.

I would like a mild steel that does not rust. Does anyone know what kind of steel the mint uses to engrave their stamp and cell dies?

Thanks
cold rolled steel is mild steel, or very close in carbon content. it's rolled cold rather than hot rolled. it is slightly more resistant than is h,r. mild to oxidation. i don't think there is a mild form that wont take up oxygen.

Engraver10

cold rolled steel is mild steel, or very close in carbon content. it's rolled cold rather than hot rolled. it is slightly more resistant than is h,r. mild to oxidation. i don't think there is a mild form that wont take up oxygen.
Hello, thank you very much for the information, I did not know about this difference between cold and hot rolled steel. This can help with my choices.
Regards

Engraver10

Just a thought...acidic oil from hands can cause a problem like yours. I engrave on a steel gun part sometimes for months without any rust problem. Even when I lived on Kodiak Island which is a very salty air location.
Yes, what you said makes perfect sense. But on the copper base I use, any touch 2 to 3 days is already oxidized. I always try to wipe the surface after work with a dry cloth to avoid this.
Thanks

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
There was an engraver who came to the Vegas shows several times who had the problem of acidic hands. As I remember it, there is a soap that can help with the problem but I do not remember anything else about it.

Engraver10

There was an engraver who came to the Vegas shows several times who had the problem of acidic hands. As I remember it, there is a soap that can help with the problem but I do not remember anything else about it.
Isso é interessante, gostaria de experimentar, ver se diminui a oxidação nas placas. Se você se lembrar, por favor me avise.
Muito obrigado

Latest posts

Sponsors