Protects engraving metal to avoid oxidized

Engraver10

Dear friends, I'm still new here on the Forum, but I've already received a lot of help and words of encouragement. Today I ask for help with an issue that makes me very upset. I engrave on medium-hard copper plate, but copper oxidizes very quickly.

There are engravings that take me 3, 4, 5 or even days to finish, and even before finishing, the copper is already all stained. Is there any way to protect the copper from oxidation, before and after the completed etching.

I would like to engrave on mild steel plate, can anyone tell me where to buy them? Here are 2 engravings of mine with details, this 2 I cleaned today with vinegar and salt, but in a few days they will be stained again.

Thank you all

Attachments

• 20230725_163054.jpg
    20230725_163054.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20230725_231726_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230725_231726_Gallery.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20230725_233413_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230725_233413_Gallery.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230725_163417.jpg
    20230725_163417.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20230725_231648_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230725_231648_Gallery.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 74

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Dear friends, I'm still new here on the Forum, but I've already received a lot of help and words of encouragement. Today I ask for help with an issue that makes me very upset. I engrave on medium-hard copper plate, but copper oxidizes very quickly.

There are engravings that take me 3, 4, 5 or even days to finish, and even before finishing, the copper is already all stained. Is there any way to protect the copper from oxidation, before and after the completed etching.

I would like to engrave on mild steel plate, can anyone tell me where to buy them? Here are 2 engravings of mine with details, this 2 I cleaned today with vinegar and salt, but in a few days they will be stained again.

Thank you all
Sorry, can`t help you with your oxidation problem. Maybe you can try some wax or varnish to protect the copper? For mild steel, try to ask for it at a tinsmith shop. Here in Norway I get all the mild steel I need from my local tinsmith.

Jørn-Ove

DaveatWeirs

there's a wax called renaissance wax, white label with a stylized lion's profile on it, you can get it on amazon.
I use it to stop engraved copper and brass coins from tarnishing. It goes on clear and protects very well. For protecting while you're working on it I'd say put a thin layer of it on and rub off any excess then rub it into the cuts after you finish for the day. When you're done clean the plate with acetone and put a fresh clean layer of the wax on.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
when I was doing printmaking in High School we used printing plates made from Zinc for our intaglio plates. This might be another option for you if you can find any. They engraved very easy almost like copper but had a silvery color to them
Just a thought

Engraver10

Sorry, can`t help you with your oxidation problem. Maybe you can try some wax or varnish to protect the copper? For mild steel, try to ask for it at a tinsmith shop. Here in Norway I get all the mild steel I need from my local tinsmith.

Jørn-Ove
Hello, thank you very much, I will try to find it in supplies, but in my country there is a great lack of this type of material.

Engraver10

when I was doing printmaking in High School we used printing plates made from Zinc for our intaglio plates. This might be another option for you if you can find any. They engraved very easy almost like copper but had a silvery color to them
Just a thought
Cool, great idea, I've never tried it with zinc, about the silver or copper color I wouldn't mind, as long as it doesn't oxidize.

Thank you for your help

Engraver10

there's a wax called renaissance wax, white label with a stylized lion's profile on it, you can get it on amazon.
I use it to stop engraved copper and brass coins from tarnishing. It goes on clear and protects very well. For protecting while you're working on it I'd say put a thin layer of it on and rub off any excess then rub it into the cuts after you finish for the day. When you're done clean the plate with acetone and put a fresh clean layer of the wax on.
Perfect!!! I believe that's what I've always been looking for, I'm going to search on Amazon. When I buy to use I will post the results here.
Thank you very much

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::

Engraver10

if there's a junk yard near you, you'll likely find a great source of mild steel, copper, and brass. the steel can be had for merely pennies a pound. i do sign work for my local yard. these guys save the good stuff for me. it's a blessing to have friends !!
Hello thanks for the suggestion, but could you indicate me a type of soft steel and with little oxidation. I've used SAE 1020 1045 is very soft with 0.2% and 0.4% carbon.

I would like a mild steel that does not rust. Does anyone know what kind of steel the mint uses to engrave their stamp and cell dies?

Thanks

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
On Amazon look for "credit card bottle openers". You can get a big batch for about $0.25 each. just a little polishing up on a flat plate and you are good to go. They are some kind of stainless and they cut great, no rust.

Engraver10

On Amazon look for "credit card bottle openers". You can get a big batch for about $0.25 each. just a little polishing up on a flat plate and you are good to go. They are some kind of stainless and they cut great, no rust.
Great comment, I'll look into it.
Thank you very much

Engraver10

I found!!! It serves me well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230730_133315_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230730_133315_Gallery.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 7

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Hello thanks for the suggestion, but could you indicate me a type of soft steel and with little oxidation. I've used SAE 1020 1045 is very soft with 0.2% and 0.4% carbon.

I would like a mild steel that does not rust. Does anyone know what kind of steel the mint uses to engrave their stamp and cell dies?

Thanks
Any mild steel rusts. There are some alloys used for knife blades etc. that are rust resistant but are harder than you want.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
renaissance wax is what you want.. tho it has a thinner in it that might effect you’re drawing on the copper, depending on what you use. . You can also just engrave until you are done and then clean your copper with an acid, or light buff, and then wax it after

Engraver10

renaissance wax is what you want.. tho it has a thinner in it that might effect you’re drawing on the copper, depending on what you use. . You can also just engrave until you are done and then clean your copper with an acid, or light buff, and then wax it after
I use laser printing as a transfer and transfer with dammar varnish and pharmacy acetone. I'll have to test it to see that the Grease you indicated would not remove the design, but anyway, this Grease is very useful to use after finishing and thus maintain the copper's shine.
This is one of the transfers I made recently to train.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230729_160112.jpg
    20230729_160112.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 13

Engraver10

Any mild steel rusts. There are some alloys used for knife blades etc. that are rust resistant but are harder than you want.
Actually the steels I tested all rust, copper still has the advantage of just darkening or fixing stained.
But I am very happy with all the help I receive here from more experienced friends, and with that I have learned a lot.
Best Regards

Sponsors