Question: Proper attire for Guild/Beinfield show

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have never attended the Beinfield show so my question for those who have is what to wear. I will be exhibiting so I am asking in regards to one exhibiting and not an attendee. In the past a tie and coat were fairly common and encouraged is this new venue any different?

I'm excited to see everyone and welcome a few more into the engraving family.....and it is family.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
don't , for goodness sake,wear socks like our landlord does ! enjoy the get together. btw- i got a copy of your book from tira. good stuff in a great presentational format.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
anything less than full tails & top hat would be gauche. it always pays to dress.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's much more casual now. Cut-offs, flip-flops, and a tank top are more than appropriate.

Andrew Biggs

What to wear??

Clothes would be a good start. :)

Showing your midriff or builders crack and revealing a thong is generally frowned upon.........Unless you have a body like a Greek God or Goddess in which case feel free to strut your stuff

Tight clothing over a pot belly is never a good look and whatever you do........avoid short shorts combined with knee high socks and Roman sandals.

A rule of thumb is, if you have to ask does my bum look big in this?......then it does.

Apart from that, if you are a table holder, you are generally safe in neat clothing showing you are serious about your work.

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Given the responses above, I'm not sure if this is a serious question or not. Just in case it is, I will go out on a limb and give a serious answer. There is no dress code for exhibitors at the show and the visitors dress pretty casually but you rarely see any of the visitors looking like a slob, like many people walking the "strip." As a visitor or table holder, I have always worn a tie and a jacket or shooting vest. I find that way I fit in better with the other exhibitors and look less like a "tire kicker" when I'm talking with a rep from Purdey, H&H, or the like. I realize that some guys would rather set their hair on fire than wear a tie, so if that's your thing wear your best jeans and tee shirt. If you are a famous engraver like Lee, everyone will want to talk to you regardless of how you dress. As far as the ladies go, they always seem to know how to dress with no advice from me.

Lee touched on this in his other post but I will add that if you are only known on the forums by some cryptic screen name you might introduce yourself to other forum members by saying something like "Hi, I'm Bill Jones but I'm XYZ123 on the engraving forums.

The most important things are to be there and enjoy the experience.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, thanks it actually was a serious question on my part and I also thoroughly enjoy the other not so serious comments as life is too serious in general. I suppose part of the dress decision is what is your target audience and how will your appearance speak to them. If you are hoping to attract cowboy action shooters you will dress a bit different than someone hoping for Purdey, Holland, and the like. I have no idea what tails and a bowtie will bring. Could be fun.

Latest posts

Sponsors