Help, please: Progressive Foot Control hissing

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Progressive Foot Control for my GraverMax SC has started to hiss air and is intermittent in operation. I haven't changed anything so I'm a bit perplexed. My handpiece is "tuned" properly... :confused:

I took the hose off and looked it over at all angles and dusted it out as best I could. The exploded parts view in the manual doesn't show any seals that could have gone bad.

Any ideas? I may have to call GRS.

mrthe

Under the pedal you can see am allen screw connected to the cylinder, unscrew it and just trying to move the cylinder set it in a properly aligned position

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Use a 1/8" Allen wrench to adjust the screw in the bottom. Start at about 10-12mm from the top of the Allen screw to the bottom of the brass thingy. Each pedal varies but make the adjustment so the hand piece just starts to operate and then back it off a bit. Make sure it is all clean as well. If the cylinder is really scored it may still leak but it is usually the adjustment.

mrthe

Ok Thank you Rex, because i have read the Phil post and set it at 6,3 mm from the brass and my pedal start at the middle way, i'm not a great expert with my new gravermach At but i was a bit strange that the foot pedal have to work in this way, now i have just unscrewed it and putting my ear near the pedal i moved the cylinder since i have feel the air leaking stop and tightened the screw ,i imagine that this have to be the procedure for a fine regulation or not ?

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Mrthe/Rex. My pedal always seems to travel a little more than what I would like before the handpiece operates. I would like to know if doing it Rex's way and adjusting the pedal till the handpiece operates, then backing off a little does indeed fine tune things. I only set mine to 6.3 because the tech guru at GRS insisted on that measurement. Please let me know how you get on if you adjust yours as Rex suggests.
By the way. I use the bias control to get my pedal to operate that little bit earlier at the moment but would prefer the pedal to operate where I want it to rather than where it does at the moment

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to know if doing it Rex's way and adjusting the pedal till the handpiece operates, then backing off a little does indeed fine tune things.

Yes, it does. I fiddled with mine adjusting the foot control and going back to the tuning control a couple of times and now everything is back to normal.

Last edited:

mrthe

Phil my answer was just for this reason , if the GRS service say this to you i have the doubt now how have it to work correctly, i was assuming that the pedal have to start just since you press it down if i set it to 6,3 mm from the brass i need to activate the pedal to the half to feel the hand piece running, just this, is a relative new system for me i don't know or have tryed another before

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The actual factory setting of the pedal is done with a proprietary measuring device. Using a brand new pedal in a perfect world the measurement of 6.3 mm is correct from the bulletin but I found that usually 10 mm is much closer to "real world" use of used pedal. By using the bias you are achieving the same results as adjusting the pedal in a sense but the 10mm to 12mm just seems to be a better "starting" setting and then fine tuning from there. This applies to the GraverMax and GraverSmith that don't have a bias as well.

Latest posts

Sponsors