Problems setting up Lindsay Bench Jewel Airgraver

Juliet Gamarci

Hi, everyone!
I recently received a Lindsay Bench Jewel Airgraver system as a present, it was purchased second-hand off of eBay along with the basic sharpening system. When I connect the graver compressor hookup and foot pedal to the air regulator, it doesn’t cause the piston to kick off, only air comes out the little holes on the bottom in the graver handle. I have been baffled by this as I have only used a EnSet system at school. What am I doing wrong? Is the handpiece faulty, can I send it back to Steve Lindsay for a repair? The system was originally bought in 2022. Thanks!

Juliet Gamarci

I was trying to run it at 60 psi and no, the piston was not moving. I posted this question on the Facebook group and they all recommended cleaning out the chamber and trying again. Once cleaned with denatured alcohol, it worked fine as long as I started with the graver pointed down. Problem solved (I hope!) for now. Gotta keep this piston and chamber clean! Thanks for the feedback!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
BE SURE TO ADD AN OIL TRAP IN THE CIRCUIT before air gets to the handpiece. that can prevent fuuture problems. i've been using my lindsay for several years. i have never cleaned it.

jldj

Shake the handpiece str8 down to get it started. Then increase the idle so it doesn't stop or give it some gas until it runs like it's supposed to. And clean it. Q-tips and denatured alcohol.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Somewhere on the Lindsay site it tells you how to set your unit up. Right from the horse's mouth. He has online manuals for all his products.

Juliet Gamarci

Thanks and yes, I read that in the manual as well. I think the main problem was that the piston couldn't move freely, that's why cleaning was needed

hobo

Right hand side of regulator is a toggle switch that will control constant idle. Down for no idle at rest up for constant idle no matter the position of hand piece.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I was trying to run it at 60 psi and no, the piston was not moving. I posted this question on the Facebook group and they all recommended cleaning out the chamber and trying again. Once cleaned with denatured alcohol, it worked fine as long as I started with the graver pointed down. Problem solved (I hope!) for now. Gotta keep this piston and chamber clean! Thanks for the feedback!
I think 60 psi is too high. I set mine for 25 psi.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Steve recommends setting your pressure at 50 psi at the compressor end. Then the pressure for the handpiece should be turned down lower and lower, till you are happy with how it cuts. No need to run it at 60 psi. I run my classic at only 15psi on the business end and it cuts just fine in most metals. Make sure you set your idle to a slight hum...the piston should move ever so slightly. Makes it alot easier to start your cuts

Juliet Gamarci

I was up at high pressure following the "Quick Start" section of the instructions, I've been running it much lower now, more like 40 - 50psi on the compressor and 20- 30psi on the graver end. Works great, I'm doing lots of practice cuts before I start anything more important. Thanks for your input, everyone!

Latest posts

Sponsors