Pricing

j.c.

….on the subject of pricing engraving.

No one seems, in these interesting threads, to be taking into consideration the value of today’s dollar.

In a previous thread a retail price list was shown for engraving from a jewelry store, from
1922---Take into account the dollar then versus now… for example $1.00 in 1922 had the same buying power as give or take $12.00 in today’s market. An engraving cost for example $60.00 (from the chart) then---today $720.00. So most definitely keep in mind this or similar charts when considering what to charge now.

If you charge less for a similar thing now, you are making less than was made in 1922 when there was an engraver at every store and more waiting at the door to take your job.

Engraving quality across the board has improved dramatically since those days, and the engravers available to do this type of work today are now very few compared with those years.

As the dollar has changed over the years, so must the engraver.

Does your doctor still make house calls and accept chickens for payment? Why should you? Had your car fixed lately?...

..just something to ponder on a bit.

j.c.

www.jcengraver.com

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm
one of many calculators on the web…

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
price list,

J.C. , If your are referring to to price list "leroy Two Hawks" posted, it is dated 1992, not 1922. I don't know how much engraving prices have changed since then. I would guess the "cost of living" has gone up about 15%. Some prices have gone up, but some prices have gone down since then. Kevin Scott

j.c.

:eek:

My mistake, ….thanks for the correction.

Dyslexia,…..bad thing for an engraver…;)

j.c.

Latest posts

Sponsors