Preparing for my first 1911

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Guys I am going to start preparing to cut my first 1911 and I am looking for pointers. What is a good design reference for some basic patterns. I do not want to do a copy job but at the same time I do not want to get into design trouble either. I am looking more for a guide as to the areas that should be cut and try to stay out of the ditch so to speak. I do not want to atempt anything to complex but at the same time not to simple, middle of the road so to speak. This will be my first modern gun and is a piece that I am going to use as an example and will not be for sale so I am going to full coverage. Time frame for completion is approx. 1 year down the road so any help to start my journey will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would suggest looking at photos of various styles and work from there.

The first one I did was my own. I played around with a bunch of ideas until I ultimately used a McKenzie style scroll to do the sides and top of the slide.

You can see pictures on my web page.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You might consider Mike Dubbers design transfers,even if you don't use the design . There is a lot to learn from design to actual cutting on the casting. MTC. YMMV

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
find a design you like, one not so complicated, and just go with that design.if that design looks good elsewhere, it would likely work out on your .45.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,
Check out this Colt page. Has a lot of great examples of Colt factory engraving. www.coltautos.com Another suggestion is to type in "Engraved 1911" in a google image search. You'll find some nice (and not so nice) examples that way.
I also have some good 1911 outlines you can use both full size and officer length. I'll run some copies for you. You'll have fun with this one. The 1911 just begs for engraving!
Layne