Preparing a gun for engraving

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Any recommendation for some one to do metal prep work on a 1892 winchester.
My old paws hurt more every day. Thanks

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Turnbull will do it but as flat a project as that is, I'd be hard pressed to send that out due to it's relative ease. A single action is a whole nuther subject...

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dave, Have you ever metal prep a gun before? Sending to Turnbull is going to cost you big bucks, like Tim said the 1892 Winchester shouldn't be that hard. Just don't use a buffer strip off the finish and polish by hand with wet & dry automotive paper, you don't want to round off any sharp edges or dish out any pin or screw holes. J.J.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
If your short on elbow grease try vinager bath to take of bluing. Place parts in a big enough container that you can submerge them in vinager.. Every 20 min pull them out and rub them with a paper towel. Keep repeating until they are in the white.

JJ Roberts

Brownells sells a rust and blue remover #082-054-032 just mix 3 parts water 1 part Brownnell remover and 0000 steel wool strips in minutes and won't etch the metal it's safe and works great. Wear rubber gloves. J.J.

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Hi Dave, I understand the hand bit but I keep plugging along. Me and tylenol anyway. You might take a look at the acgg.org site and perhaps contact a few of the metalsmiths to see what you might be able to work out.

Latest posts

Sponsors