prayers

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
we all need to keep sam & abiail, as well as millions of others in our prayers. there's a big one coming and i pray for the safety of all living in the gulf coast region.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm heading to New Orleans in the morning for a conference. Hope I don't pass evacuees on the way.

Andrew Biggs

I'd be thinking twice before heading to New Orleans.

Okinawa has just been hit badly and the news media down here are talking about it being the worst storm in 50 years.

Stay safe Sam and Abigail and the other cafe members living in that part of the world.

Cheers
Andrew

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since posting the comment about the conference, I received an email canceling the thing. Drove 7 hours. Made it to Baton Rouge. Now I need to make a U-Turn and head back to Texas.

Good luck Sam and all the other LA friends out there.

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
I grew up 15 miles north of Gulf Shores, Alabama. I believe Alabamians will not need shelter this time. I originally offered space in my home for the storm. Turns out members of my family are likely to be here so I can't offer the shelter.

Lester Holmes

Last edited:

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Personally I think we should pray for Isaac- if it is dumb enough to cross Sam's path, it will be in deep trouble!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
So far so good. No problems for us and we still have power. Sadly, the situation is pretty terrible for folks south of us :(

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
For one thing this hurricane was forecast as a Category 1 storm with maximum winds of 105 mph. That is significantly less powerful than big storms such as Katrina. Also, it stayed a tropical storm until shortly before landfall which made people think it wasn't going to be a bad one. Evacuations were recommended for the low lying areas and eventually became mandatory. But why people in those really dangerous areas chose to stay is beyond me. Everyone knew it was coming and it's simply not worth the risk when you live in those parishes close to the Gulf. But this is always the case. Some people choose to stay and then they're stranded in their attics as their houses flood and need rescue. It's really awful.

The biggest problem with this storm wasn't damaging winds, but the fact that it stalled over the area and sat there churning without blowing through and quickly dissipating. This, coupled with the fact that its relentless southern winds continue to push water from the Gulf of Mexico toward land causing massive flooding.

Latest posts

Sponsors