practice plate

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
papart1Not bad I like the backbone of the scroll no flat spots nice and round keep chipping. J.J.

monk

Staff member
the inner and outer elements should "flow" gracefully out of the backbone. a few of yours come out at a too-steep angle. this will tend to disrupt the so called flow of your design. this is likely a drawing problem rather than any other. as jj mentioned, the backbone looks very good.

JJ Roberts

papart1,A good book for drawing scrolls would be Ron Smith Advanced Drawing of Scrolls,GRS sells his book. J.J.

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Papart. I agree with others that your back bone is quite good. I also see an excellent balance between positive and negative space, with really good spacing of your scroll elements.

The areas that need work are the detail of the elements themselves, and with such an excellent sense of space and proportion, with the right resources at your disposal, I think you'll have little difficulty refining the individual scroll components as well.

With all deference to the excellent books available, speaking only for myself, I tend to learn more quickly and efficiently from hands on instruction. From seeing and doing.

One of the best (and it turns out smartest) things I did when I started this Journey was to purchase Sam Alfano's excellent guide to drawing scrolls. You can find the video for purchase here: https://masterengraver.tv

I believe there's a DVD available as well, but since my MacBook doesn't have a DVD drive (quickly going the way of the dinosaur), I opted for the downloadable version with free video player. This also turned out to be a smart choice, since I can play the videos anytime I want on my laptop or iPad, without an upcharge for using the videos on whatever device I'm using at the time.

Note: The scroll drawing video came first, and the iPad several months later. If you choose to purchase the video, and I hope you will, all you really need to get started is a clean sheet of paper, and a humble #2 pencil.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Paps, it is a start the scroll is pretty well done. I second goldjockey Sam's
scroll drawing video is a great place to start pay attention to the section on point errors that chapter alone helped me as much as anything. Post your drawings there are people here who will mark up where you need work and how to fix it. I learned a lot by doing that.
Keep at it,Leland

papart1

I thought I payed particular attention to the point errors without a lengthy tail that is. There is some that I hurried on because the curl at the end/top of the knob is evident. I mught add that the whole design was done by hand with air assist. Thanks men.............paps

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Always a good plan, Paps ;) I find my biggest obstacle in anything worthwhile I decide to undertake, is usually my own impatience. You'll get there!

JohnC

I too, hurry to finish sometimes and always see some thing I wish had taken more time with. I am now trying and cutting the main lines of the scroll and then drawing the leafs or is it leaves? Redrawing them again to improved odd looking ones. This sometimes leads to a better engraving. Not always though.

Your cuts are more or less uniform. A reasonably good effort I'd say. Keep at and you'll get better like we all will.

monk

Staff member
Hello Papart. I agree with others that your back bone is quite good. I also see an excellent balance between positive and negative space, with really good spacing of your scroll elements.

The areas that need work are the detail of the elements themselves, and with such an excellent sense of space and proportion, with the right resources at your disposal, I think you'll have little difficulty refining the individual scroll components as well.

With all deference to the excellent books available, speaking only for myself, I tend to learn more quickly and efficiently from hands on instruction. From seeing and doing.

One of the best (and it turns out smartest) things I did when I started this Journey was to purchase Sam Alfano's excellent guide to drawing scrolls. You can find the video for purchase here: https://masterengraver.tv

I believe there's a DVD available as well, but since my MacBook doesn't have a DVD drive (quickly going the way of the dinosaur), I opted for the downloadable version with free video player. This also turned out to be a smart choice, since I can play the videos anytime I want on my laptop or iPad, without an upcharge for using the videos on whatever device I'm using at the time.

Note: The scroll drawing video came first, and the iPad several months later. If you choose to purchase the video, and I hope you will, all you really need to get started is a clean sheet of paper, and a humble #2 pencil.
mine had none either when i bought it.
i bought an external one for about $30 usd. works good.

Latest posts

Sponsors