Practice plate english scroll for school plus drawing in progress pics

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Practice plate english scroll for school plus drawing in progress
Scroll diameter plus minus 6.5 max 7.5
The exercise was to draw/compose your one english scroll plus a woodcock scene.
Drawing all by hand
English scroll graver; no heel

have a nice weekend!

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys!!! It still isn't perfect! I'm saving some money to make me a good turntable that way my shading can even be better. Why make it because the ones of grs are expensive and they have these plastic rolling balls with a bit dirt and for sure metal burs on them i does not turn smooth at all!!! So to GRS guy if you wan to listen open your ears; make sure it is impossible dirt get between the plates put some more beads and make them of steel!!! Take a look at Steve Lindsay his model!!!!!:DD

Now i'm just turning the plate by hand on a piece of paper. the same principe of working on a leather engraving cushion the old school way! Works great wetter than only a ball vise. But i'm quit sure a ball vise plus a turntable will better.

@ Frank merci man!! Punten dat is voor nu woensdag, kben eens benieuwd..

Andrew Biggs

Very nice indeed Bram.

I've used the GRS turntable now for years with no cleaning or maintenance and it still turns very smoothly and works as well as the day I brought it. It certainly a lot better than a home made job or turning the work on a piece of paper or leather cushion. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Fantastic examples, Bram. You have me wanting to cut some English scrolls now. Really REALLY nice work. I also like your shading on the acanthus portion. Very similar to banknote style. :thumbsup:

Steveareno

Hi Bram,

Really enjoy your engraving.

If you would like to make a turntable, may I suggest you take a look at the one I made. The roller bearings are stainless steel with a thrust bearing on the bottom. Zero side shake and smooth as silk to turn. This one tilts but it could be used flat and you could eliminate the tiling base and save a lot of time and materials.

Sincerely, Steve

Attachments

• acc-u-tilt turntable complete.jpg
    acc-u-tilt turntable complete.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 197
  • accutilt-top 1.jpg
    accutilt-top 1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 193

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steveareno's turntable looks very nice and probably works well,

I'd like to know the hours involved? If you have orders on your bench, realistically, you have to calculate what the real cost of making your own tooling is, that is, what could you have earned with those hours, if you worked on your commissions. I say all this as a time-served toolmaker myself. I very much enjoy making my own tooling, but I try to buy what is available, and make only what is unavailable. Then again, if you truly love toolmaking, go ahead and forget about the real cost.

I was first shown this web for potter's banding wheels by Katherine Plumer, when I assisted a bit in setting up her bench, look here:

http://www.ceramicsuppliesnow.com/search_result.php?keywords=shimpo&x=0&y=0&swidth=1440

I think the one she chose cost $80, and it turned like pure silk, plus it was very secure in use.

The prices are very reasonable and they have a very good and smooth central bearing with very low turning resistance, and trying out these units made me question why we go for the rim-bearing turntables. Remember, a central large bearing is totally out of range from metal chips.

I am sure there are European sites that offer 'banding wheels'?

Finally, Bram, I am pretty sure the GRS turntable balls are ceramic, and not plastic. I discarded the separating plastic disk that keep the balls spaced out, and just added small brass rods about an inch long between the balls, this lowers friction.

Bram, fantastic work, and always a delight to see your photos of progress, thank you!

Rod

Last edited:

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Bram,

Really enjoy your engraving.

If you would like to make a turntable, may I suggest you take a look at the one I made. The roller bearings are stainless steel with a thrust bearing on the bottom. Zero side shake and smooth as silk to turn. This one tilts but it could be used flat and you could eliminate the tiling base and save a lot of time and materials.

Sincerely, Steve

Hey Steve thanks for the info!! I did fine mechanics so i have some idees how to make it. I have this big axial bearing maybe i'll us that one. I made this 4years ago; [video=youtube;pC6UYQ0CNDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC6UYQ0CNDw[/video]