Practice Drawing

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
I did some drawing yesterday, feeling a little under the weather so I drew while watching TV with the kids and playing referee. I still struggle with how to build my backbones and fill with leafs within a given space, maybe I over think it too much?.... any comments or critiquing is much appreciated!

Thanks, Jeff -

Practise Plate Drawing 001.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Struggle?? That's better than 95% of what's on this forum. Excellent job!!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks great!

If there's anything that might be able to be improved I'd say it's the two scrolls coming from underneath that wind up looking like they're coming off at too sharp an angle. The one at the lower left and the one near the top, just right of center. The origins do look to trace back into the flow but at a glance they wind up looking rather abrupt.

Saving a copy to study - there's a lot to learn from it.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I saw this earlier, BUT, I have seen the same in old prints.
Just glad to see it's being used tastefully.
Dammed good artwork, Jeff !
Jeff

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam and everyone for the comments! I see what you mean Steve, maybe trying to cram to many scrolls or how else would you make them flow off?.... working on the cutting part SamW.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think a lot of us noticed the scroll Steve pointed out (copied or cloned maybe?), but the design works, and it works well, and that is what counts. IMHO nothing needs changing.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I was going to draw scrolls to fit that shape, I'd keep them all flowing off the backbones of other scrolls. Some of yours seem to come out from behind your other scrolls at 90 degrees... not the standard way of doing it. But your drawing is so well executed and ballanced even the master engravers on here are telling you it doesn't matter. That says a whole lot for your design and drawing skills. Thanks for sharing with us

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks again everyone, coming from you Sam and the others as Dani Girl said means a lot. Here was my original sketch and rough draft. I changed the bottom scroll because I thought it looked better.

sketch 0010.jpg

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Second one much better, but my eyes are still drawn to the first scroll ( in the corner) where two scrolls come off at sharp angles at the 5:00 position. Just my opinion.

Bill

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In the original the 'off' scrolls work, as the others have said, but in the revision fixing the lower scroll makes the one at the 5:00 position really jump out.

I think (I say think because this is better than most of my stuff) is to either roll off of the other spines, as the lower one does in the revision, or to bring it out from under with a good implied origin that keeps the flow.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
that is nice drawing, and yes some scrolls in the back aren't connected, but still the design looks nice and balanced.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors