Question: Pracice Plate Knowledge

bullzeye

I am needing opinions on what material and gauge would be the best for my practice. I am building bits and spurs so my engraving will mainly be on silver, silver nickel, and of course steel. In your opinions what is the closest feel for these materials for practice on a budget? Thanks for the help.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
I have been practicing and building up a number of samples on nickle silver but only because, as you suggest, it is inexpensive and the appearance is similar to the silver which I would normally cut. The feel between this and silver is like chalk and cheese. The silver is much softer and I have to wind back the effort required to cut it.

If you are wanting something soft, would aluminium fit the bill? Personally I would avoid it - especially as I would not want this mixed up in the silver lemel,

Roger

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Rio Grande has packs of nickel money clips, 20 for $24. They make great practice plates 1x2" or 3/4x2". Why not cut some steel bracelets? Even Sterling Silver bracelets are not that expensive for material cost. All these things make great gifts and/or sellable items, while letting you work in the metals you intend to work in.

As a jeweler, I always call Nickel just that. There is no silver in it, and the names nickel silver and german silver are just names to try and confuse the general public. I would rather educate them than confuse them. Just my opinion.
Will

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
aluminum, at least most of what i cut, is gummy and resists forward progress. if you back down a bit it may push your graver back. it can also leave deposits on the graver. copper & mild steel would approximate what you'll expeerience with the real deal.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just cut some aluminum scope mounts and they cut like steel. I have never had aluminum peel up like steel before, but these did, no chipping whatsoever. I was given the gun for a commission piece, so the make of mounts is unknown, but it was as easy as cutting butter. I had to back down on the pressure and effort to keep from overdoing it; I was cutting too fast!

Latest posts

Sponsors