Question: power hone diamond lap lubrication

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I have been using Windex to lubricate the diamond laps on my power hone when sharpening. Keeps the thing from loading up.

I was wondering if anyone else is using a liquid on their diamond laps or do you just use them dry?:thinking:

I would be interested in any other product being used and also just to check if I have wandered off the beam again using lubrication at all. :tiphat:

Thanks scott99

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I keep a small pump oil can filled with mineral oil nearby and give it a few drops now and then. It keeps the diamond flushed free, lubricates, and it easily holds the grindings so it can be wiped off with a paper towel. Seems to do the trick.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
i use a small zip-lock bag with a magnet inside for when i need to do more than just a touch up to polish the graver.

like the wendex idea. might have to try that one.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
gesswein stoning oil. bought a pint about 30 yrs ago and it looks like i'll need more in another 30 or so. hope they still make it by then...

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use my hone dry. I find most oils seem to gum up, and I haven't seen any improvement in polishing ability. I do wear a mask when honing carbide, but I'm not really sure it's needed. But I used to be a respiratory therapist, so.....

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
NEVER use diamond spray on diamond wheels. Only on the ceramic and cast iron. GRS suggests a water soluable wetting agent on a diamond wheel applied with a spray bottle. Not sure if Windex qualifies for that but I have been known to use it because I am lazy. Plain water in a spray bottle works well too.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Coupla 2 or 3 drops of Dawn dishwashing detergent in a quart spray bottle of water.

Much much cheaper than Windex or even the dollar store copy. Why would you need ammonia as a lubricant ingredient on an abrasive wheel?

The few drops of detergent make a sufficient surfactant.

Do make sure to either leave your wheels running 'till all the way dry, or help 'em out with a paper towel.

Leaving standing water on them for long periods of time will lead to rust and pitting...

'nother one of those - "ask how I know" things...

Brian

Last edited:

Jahn Baker

Elite Cafe Member
I've been using Windex too. Keeps down the dust and helps keep the wheels clean. Learned years ago to always use water on my diamond lapidary wheels and when I got the power hone the Windex bottle was right there, so I started using it. Think I'll take Brian's advice and start using dish liquid once the bottle is empty. I always rinse the wheels off and dry them before putting them away. Yeah, I learned that one the hard way too.

Jahn

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is a water soluble oil for diamond hones & blades available from lapidary suppliers.You could mix up a little and put it in a spray bottle?????????????????

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
There is a water soluble oil for diamond hones & blades available from lapidary suppliers.You could mix up a little and put it in a spray bottle?

It's called CrystalCut. I've used it for years on diamond laps on my lapidary cabbing machine. On large sized diamond saws we use mineral oil. And, mineral oil works nicely on the Powerhone laps (same size, etc. as the laps on my Diamond Demon Pro cabbing machine)

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
I use a couple of drops of Liquid Burr Life from Rio Grande. I never want to have any dry graver dust flying around, and the laps can be scrubbed clean easily when loaded with crud.

Latest posts

Sponsors