powder horn scrimshaw

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I have done some horn work. I would suggest that you get a carbide scribe, one of those inexpensive one sold at Lowes. I sharpen it on my diamond wheel. It works quite well. Sewing needles and other things that are suggested don't work well. Horn has a grain and you need a very sharp to cut across it. If you are interested in horn work see if you can get a copy Feb. 2023 Muzzle Blasts. There are many photos of horn snuff mulls, many from the 19th century. Some have silver mountings and are engraved. Other muzzle loading books and publications have many examples of different types of horn work. There is an organization dedicated to just horn work. It is The Honorable Company of Horners. I am sure they have a website that you could go to if you have an interest.

mongo40

I use to make horns allot, still got three I need to finish right now, just the engraving has taken all my time up so haven't done any in awhile. If you go to Track of the Wolfs web site they have some good books on it, I believe its Scott Sibley that has done several how to books on the subject buy my memory ain't so good! I definitely need to finish a horn and bag as I gave my son in law a rifle for Christmas, one of the percussion CVA Kits of a Kentucky rifle. He needs a horn an bag for it for sure. I've attached some pics of some I've done, The solid black one is a buffalo horn.

horn12.jpg IMG_0237.jpg IMG_0260.JPG IMG_0270.JPG littlehorn2.jpg squirrel1.jpg Hog horn.JPG IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0259.JPG JJ Horn3.JPG

Last edited:

RJW

I have done some horn work. I would suggest that you get a carbide scribe, one of those inexpensive one sold at Lowes. I sharpen it on my diamond wheel. It works quite well. Sewing needles and other things that are suggested don't work well. Horn has a grain and you need a very sharp to cut across it. If you are interested in horn work see if you can get a copy Feb. 2023 Muzzle Blasts. There are many photos of horn snuff mulls, many from the 19th century. Some have silver mountings and are engraved. Other muzzle loading books and publications have many examples of different types of horn work. There is an organization dedicated to just horn work. It is The Honorable Company of Horners. I am sure they have a website that you could go to if you have an interest.
Here are some images of a F&I horn I am scrimming right now. It represent the French side, with an Image of Montcalm, the fort Carillon as of the 1758 battle with General Abercrombie; and an image of three French Canadian volumteers. Almost finished today. It's the third horn I have done so far.

Pictures updated with finished horn

Best Regards

Attachments

• 20230303_081720.jpg
    20230303_081720.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230303_081600.jpg
    20230303_081600.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230303_081528.jpg
    20230303_081528.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

RJW

I use to make horns allot, still got three I need to finish right now, just the engraving has taken all my time up so haven't done any in awhile. If you go to Track of the Wolfs web site they have some good books on it, I believe its Scott Sibley that has done several how to books on the subject buy my memory ain't so good! I definitely need to finish a horn and bag as I gave my son in law a rifle for Christmas, one of the percussion CVA Kits of a Kentucky rifle. He needs a horn an bag for it for sure. I've attached some pics of some I've done,

View attachment 50978 View attachment 50979 View attachment 50980 View attachment 50981 View attachment 50982 View attachment 50983 View attachment 50984 View attachment 50985 View attachment 50986 View attachment 50987
Mongo40;

What did you use to give the aged tone to your horns?

mongo40

Mongo40;

What did you use to give the aged tone to your horns?
I use RIT dyes, I forget the colors I mixed for getting the yellowish aged look but I heat up the RIT, and just hold the horn in it till I get the color I want. Same for the necks, if you get one thats not all black or brown I use RIT to stain the tips, also heard you can use mens hair or beard coloring solutions but I've never tried it. If you join this sight, https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/ lots of info there as well as https://thehornersbench.proboards.com/ and this is where I get my horns at.

RJW

If the horn is to carry powder, remember there is a left-hand horn and a right-hand horn. If you are making it for someone you should know the difference.
A good point to be made but after so many years of flint hunting and shoots, I have come to recognize that.

I also use the Coulter Precision scribes and a desk articulated 3x magnifier

Best Regards

Sponsors