Announcement: Portable engraving setup unboxing

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I tried it for the first time today. .. works great! and again just now while my girls
are in their taekwondo class.

Up and running in about 1 minute
Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are some pictures of me DWE (as Gerry) named it.

Using the brady block to hold items

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Here in Australia the authorities are worried about people texting while driving, this gives it a whole new meaning Carlos, haha!!
Great set up.
Richard.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hey bro, I'm thinking not as steady as that magna block, huh :). Very cool though.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey bro, I'm thinking not as steady as that magna block, huh :). Very cool though.

Mr. Hughes

Not even close, I wish I could tote the Magna block around but its just too heavy my last practice piece was horrendous because of the tilting axis on the Brady block (but its not the blocks fault) but once I get the hang of it I guess I'll be alright.

Any recommendations?

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here in Australia the authorities are worried about people texting while driving, this gives it a whole new meaning Carlos, haha!!
Great set up.
Richard.

Richard

Glad you had a laugh, but I find peoples curiosity to be overwhelming I'll be sitting there and practicing outside my daughters events, people see me wearing some weird glasses and they can't help but walked by and look in, but even when they do they don't know exactly what I'm doing and you can see them talking about me and looking in my direction, I find it funny, hahah I just hope they don't think I'm doing something illegal and call the cops.

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
That could be great for business Carlos, start advertising now for when you become good at it, and if they know what you are doing, they won't call the cops on you,:)

Richard

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just one thing - be wary of the chips accumulating in your car. Those little bits are quite sharp and can cause nasty injuries.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I engrave in an 'unusual' setting (usually a hotel room) I work over a towel so it will catch all of the chips. When done I roll / fold it to catch all the chips, take it somewhere safe and shake it out. It probably doesn't catch all of them, but I know it at least gets almost all of them.

Bob West

Carlos, where did you buy the magnifying glasses? I have been looking for a set but haven't had any luck finding any so far. Optivisors won't fit over my glasses, so I have to work arround the problem.

Bob

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice setup Carlos. Really opens up some possibilities. Also impressed to see just how far you are taking your practice. I know i could be cutting now but instead I'm diddling on a phone!

And Bob, check Rio Grande's website. They should have a large variety of optics.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, where did you buy the magnifying glasses? I have been looking for a set but haven't had any luck finding any so far. Optivisors won't fit over my glasses, so I have to work arround the problem.

Bob

Bob here you go...and a little review.

Check this out on AMZN:

Professional Jeweler's Lighted Magnifier Visor - 5 Lenses 1.0X to 3.5X - Weighs Just 2 oz.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VIG6TA/..._am_us?ie=UTF8

I'm still using it because I haven't found the new one to replace it yet the only thing I can complain it pivots in two places the light moves up and down and then the lens folds up and away and with constant use it starts to become loose I've had to super glue the light into place so it doesn't move. And I'm starting to have problems keeping the lens in place. I would not buy it again but it still serves me for now. In my opinion I would just invest in a better one. But if you do not mind gluing both into place you should be just fine.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice setup Carlos. Really opens up some possibilities. Also impressed to see just how far you are taking your practice. I know i could be cutting now but instead I'm diddling on a phone!

And Bob, check Rio Grande's website. They should have a large variety of optics.

Thanks, its really the only time I have to get some descent practice....where there is a will there a way.