Question: portable container for acetone

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
its to big even the smallest size..for my travel pack, the less amount of flammable liquid I carry the better

Just ordered one for the 4 bucks I'm paying its worth a try...will keep you posted

plus its a good canvas to try some lettering

Last edited:

leo

Elite Cafe Member
usually you want something plastic and that it would seal good because acetone tends to evaporate the one show is good as long it has a rubber seal in the cap

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Carlos,
Sinclare international sells little squeeze bottles we use for bore cleaning solvent. That's what I use. Pretty cheap and handy.

Todd

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
check craft stores (michaels, hobby lobby...) in the oil paint section. there are small sealable stainless steel containers for solvents.

mrthe

an empty nail paint flask will do the job,easy to find and free from your wife/mother/sister

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos,
Try a nasal spray container. They are great for your application. After you unscrew the top, it will only dispense the amount you want by squeezing the bottle. Very handy and small.
Layne

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos,
I went to one of the beauty supply shops in town a few years ago and bought a couple of different kinds of plastic squeeze bottles for my shop. they were cheep, and I have used them for Acetone, denatured alcohol, thinner, etc. etc. They have worked great.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos,

If you put acetone in the hip flask be sure to prominently mark it ACETONE and maybe add a skull and crossbones. There is always that one fool who will pick it up and take a swig. Many years ago I worked in an award manufacturing facility and someone put hydrofluoric acid in a Visine eye drop container. One of the guys who worked in the polishing dept. saw it and decided he need his eyes washed because of the polishing dust. He ended up in the hospital.

Roger

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos,

If you put acetone in the hip flask be sure to prominently mark it ACETONE and maybe add a skull and crossbones. There is always that one fool who will pick it up and take a swig. Many years ago I worked in an award manufacturing facility and someone put hydrofluoric acid in a Visine eye drop container. One of the guys who worked in the polishing dept. saw it and decided he need his eyes washed because of the polishing dust. He ended up in the hospital.

Roger

Roger

Thanks for the advice, had this very conversation with Gerry. Will do.

Carlos De La O III

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have several annodized stainless mini pocket flasks. they hold probably a bit more than a shot glass. i'd part with one if you like. btw- they're engraveable.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been using the standard squeeze bottle that contained contact lens solution. I've used the same bottles for over 5 years with no leaks or having the bottle become brittle. The larger sizes are great in the shop, and the ability to squeeze out only a few drops, if needed, it very handy. And yes, it it marked in large bold letters ACETONE.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
In my experience, try some of the scientific equipment catalogs, like Fisher Scientific (may not be in the business anymore), McMaster-Carr, or others. My bottles, one for acetone and the other for methanol, are made out of a material that those chemicals won't attack, and have screw-on lids, with spout, for the squeeze bottles. They're uncapped, and you'd need to empty them for travel. Red for acetone, and green for methanol. Acetone won't evaporate that quickly, but methanol will. I've used mine for twenty years with no problem. Teflon is too expensive. I got mine from a lab I worked in.

Latest posts

Sponsors