Poll: Do I want my engraving bench in my man-cave office? Or in the backyard shop with my welding & blacksmith gear?

DocsEngraving

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
downsizing into a new joint - so have the opportunity to choose my location for my engraving bench: either in the main house in my man-cave office— OR 75 feet away from my back door in a stand-alone shop that houses my welding & blacksmithing gear along with my regular workbench & other tools. And… GO!!
Love to hear your thoughts here.

dylan.mk3

My responce to this would probably be based off what your plans for engraving are, if it is smaller work maybe keep it in the house for ease of access and comfort, if you plan to do full on fabrication and engraving id set up in the shed where you already have other useful tools for the trade.

Also climate if you live somewhere that gets cold keep that in mind for days you might not want to be outside ( unless the shed is heated then that wont matter )

Personally id set up in your workshop as it seems like you already have other similar hobbies, and personally my air compressor randomly filling up in my room in the middle of the night is not the most convenient LOL

T.G.III

In the house has worked out best for my needs.

Having started in a shop similar to what you describe worked out okay in the beginning, moving into the house provides for much more time cutting and the overall environment is better suited for engraving. As far as the compressor issue, mine is larger for running air tools etc, just ran an air hose to the house.

The house has the complete package as far as facilities are concerned, coffee maker, can tend to the wood stove as needed, watch for visitors, close proximity to the latrine, great views, can run the television for background noise as needed, movies, educational you tube, music, whats not to like.

I'd not move my "bench" back to the shop as being in the house really has no downsides for my purposes.

DocsEngraving

My responce to this would probably be based off what your plans for engraving are, if it is smaller work maybe keep it in the house for ease of access and comfort, if you plan to do full on fabrication and engraving id set up in the shed where you already have other useful tools for the trade.

Also climate if you live somewhere that gets cold keep that in mind for days you might not want to be outside ( unless the shed is heated then that wont matter )

Personally id set up in your workshop as it seems like you already have other similar hobbies, and personally my air compressor randomly filling up in my room in the middle of the night is not the most convenient LOL
Haha! Thanks! And yes - the out-building is heated/cooled. MiniSplit.

DocsEngraving

In the house has worked out best for my needs.

Having started in a shop similar to what you describe worked out okay in the beginning, moving into the house provides for much more time cutting and the overall environment is better suited for engraving. As far as the compressor issue, mine is larger for running air tools etc, just ran an air hose to the house.

The house has the complete package as far as facilities are concerned, coffee maker, can tend to the wood stove as needed, watch for visitors, close proximity to the latrine, great views, can run the television for background noise as needed, movies, educational you tube, music, whats not to like.

I'd not move my "bench" back to the shop as being in the house really has no downsides for my purposes.
OK! Thanks for the thoughtful response!!

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
My shop is about 200 yds from my house. My equipment for fabricating and bluing are all there keeps the mess out of the house. That cuts down on the wife telling me to clean up. I like the solitude when working. Just my opinion.

papart1

I think it would be nice...........plan on spending massively on fire protection system/s

DaveatWeirs

Personally I'd go for mancave, but noise would be my main concern. If you losing track of time and engraving late at night is likely to get a shoe thrown at your head then outside shed would be better.

Latest posts

Sponsors