Pls explain engraving a blued gun

Please explain the process of engraving a used blued gun.
How is the old blue finish removed?
Is the metal heated before engraving?
How is the metal finished after engraving to keep it from rusting?
Please explain "annealing" and "in the white"
Thank you.
Lou

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Lou, We don't engrave through a blued gun.The bluing can be removed with Brownell's rust & blue remover #082-054-032.The metal is not heated before engraving.Coat metal with RIG grease keep metal from rusting.In the white means no finish on metal.Annealing is heating metal to cherry red.Hope this helps hope someone else chimes in I need all the help I can get. J.J.

Lou, We don't engrave through a blued gun.The bluing can be removed with Brownell's rust & blue remover #082-054-032.The metal is not heated before engraving.Coat metal with RIG grease keep metal from rusting.In the white means no finish on metal.Annealing is heating metal to cherry red.Hope this helps hope someone else chimes in I need all the help I can get. J.J.

Thank you JJ.

Is the RIG grease the final preservative finish?
What is the relationship between annealing, engraving and case hardening?

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Bushmaster1313: Annealing Is The Heating Of A Hardened Metal Object, Or A Heat Treated Metal Object, Or A Case Hardened Metal Object. Then Allowing It to Cool Down At A Controlled Rate To Draw The Hardness Back To A Reasonable Rockwell C Scale Rating. Which Will Allow You To Either Machine Or Engrave The Object Before Rehardening. You Can Also Put a Protective Finish On Metal By Putting A Coin Finish Which Involves A Mixture Of Alchol And Spar Varnish. Also You Could Re Blue, Nickle Plate, Or Color Case Harden.

Latest posts

Sponsors