please help simple texas style engraving

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Randy Butters has the wheat down to a fine art. Google him for examples or email him. Once you come out of the flat to the opposite side continue on the side for several mm to your taste ,forming the wheat's beard. Randy is located in Homer, Michigan. His daughter, Braidie?, recently studied under Silverchip so maybe she can send you a demo video.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If anything it looks like they are trying to engrave winter wheat with the long beards. Maybe they have never seen red hard spring wheat?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
So, Leonard - put up a drawing - or better yet an engraving of the spring wheat so it could be used in a border pattern...

I went and looked at the goosefoot plants/seeds, made me yawn... guess I won't be making a border with that any time in the near future.

B.

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, have you lost your memory? You and I both know that I can't draw to save my life and I engrave like I dance. Both moves and repeat. I have looked at a head of wheat enough times to know that I have no desire to engrave one. The "wheat" engraving I have seen looks more like a "fantasy" engraving as it does not resemble the real thing.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Scrollwork is stylized acanthus and most looks nothing like an actual acanthus plant. I guess it could be the same with "running wheat" or "wheat chaff" borders.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah, Lenny there are a few holes in my memory by now...

Trouble is that you can't remember what you forgot - when you can't remember what you can't remember. (Does that make sense?)

Yep Sam, "Acanthus scrollwork" as done in engraving, wood and stone carving looks NOTHING like any of the 3 different varieties of acanthus that grow on my place...

More like fiddlehead ferns or sumthin' else entirely?

B.

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381103683.951291.jpg
This is not an Easter egg although it appears that one could name it that if you wish. This is a Vasquez piece of headstall silver.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I owe it all to Ginko....

A wider/fatter version is used on the shaped ear bridle...

Those were the days. I can't remember the last time I was "ahorseback". Pretty sad.

Or making strapgoods either for that matter! Lead shanks, triple stitched track halters, 15 kinds of bridles. Jockey saddles, exercise saddles and "Western" saddles.

Odd stuff like cribbing collars and" turbulator" ice boots.

A veterinarian once called me about a dog that had to have both hind legs amputated, and asked if I could come up with something to make life a bit easier for him.

Thought about it for a coupla weeks while the dog was healing up from the surgery. (This was long before anyone did much in the way of "appliances" for animals)

What I came up with is this:

I took an old skateboard. Cut it in half. Went and measured the stumps the dog had left. Came back an made little padded "pockets" to fit the stumps.

Then after two or three tries, I figured out a kind of harness to strap his butt down.

That dog learned to get around unbelievably well in less than 10 days! He could even bump his ass up and down stairs with that contraption!

I think the owners told me that he wore out the wheels and the bearings in more than a half dozen halves of skateboards before he finally died...

Had pictures, but both those and the negatives were destroyed in a shop fire 17 years ago.

Sorry folks... I just realized that none of this has ANYTHING to do with engraving wheat borders. :(

Last edited: