please help simple texas style engraving

jasonyachik

hello would someone please help me I am looking to engrave on a set of spurs and a bit the wheat stalk ((((the texas style pattern.))) with the border I got the border worked out I think lol. what graver is used. i do not have the funds for power graver only elbow power lol would love a short video if someone knows of one would be so helpful thank you..... Jason t yachik kdmabq @gmail.com

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Where are you located? I can show you, but hard to tell over the internet.
Don't know of any videos.
Jerry

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not too sure, but you may find some useful info in the "tips section" good luck

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just love the wheat engraving. I never could figure it out so I can't help you. Maybe Silverchip or Shawn Didyoung could chime in as they engrave in the wheat style all the time.

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
I learned to do the wheat pattern with hammer and chisel so that is how I do it instead of pushing. But for the hammer and chisel I use a #40 flat graver. Start with just one corner of the flat touching the silver, lots of light taps with the hammer and roll the flat through the cut until you end up on the other corner of the flat graver. It is easier to see it done and recommend that as the best way to learn it although I did teach myself. It is just longer and slower to learn that way. Good luck and all the best to you.

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
I have never seen Dave engrave wheat....lol....no but seriously, I know what your taalking about Leonard, but have never seen Dave's version of a traditional wheat stalk on spurs......Hmmmm. OH DAVE, lets see your wheat! ;)

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oops. Sorry Dave, I am mistaken. It must be Norm that does the Idaho wheat engraving. Either way, I just love the wheat engraving whether it comes from Idaho or Texas it all looks great. I wonder if someone would post a picture of some spurs that are engraved with the wheat pattern.

jr hoot gibson

Elite Cafe Member
For those of you who do not know him, Dave is not one to brag about his skills. His modesty is his best character trait. Come on Dave, please show your wheat engraving.:bow::bow::bow:

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Dave, you know your friends from downunder would not take such liberties with your good nature? But I would also like to see your version of wheat stalk too. Ty

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since I have seen my fair share of wheat I wonder why the Texas wheat engraving doesn't look like wheat?