Critique Request Please critique my practice plates!

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Please feel free to critique the whole shootin match!! Grips, finish/prep, engraving, case colors, nitre blue, but not the action work (LOL), I'm still working in that area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 363
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 364
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 367
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 365
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 363
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 362

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Another picture

Still working on the photography. So much to learn and so little time. Pistols are full coverage. Hopefully more good or showing promise than bad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 358
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 358
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 355
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Yea that photography thing is a lot like engraving. Just when you think you got a handle on it you find out there is so much more to learn. Your engraving and finish looks beautiful and the pictures are great. That truly is full coverage I like what you have done.

Eric

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Wow!!...how many hours did it take to engrave the whole gun?

I don't keep track but figure over 100 hrs engraving per pistol, another 50 in grips, prep, nitre blue and case colors, oh and a crappy action job. All just a guesstimate.;)
I know I made a lot of mistakes and bad ones, so come on and point them out, I'm hoping someone finds mistakes I didn't see:biggrin: I want to continue to improve.

Last edited:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I usually cut running wheat border cuts... the last ones going out to the edge of the leaves... with a 120 getting deeper til it hits main cuts.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I usually cut running wheat border cuts... the last ones going out to the edge of the leaves... with a 120 getting deeper til it hits main cuts.

Dani thx for responding :thumbsup: I will look at Sam's tutorial again on how to do running wheat border. Sometimes I just wing it;). I try to use a120 from time to time. I have good luck on flats but on a firearm the canvas changes shape too much and I end up making horrendous cuts. I will try as you suggest and make the nick cuts with a 120. Thx again! :thumbsup:

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Nice shape on the scrolls and it all looks very cleanly cut. Good work Michael. Takes courage to step up and take on a project like this!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the fotos reveal nothing terrible to my eye. matter of fact, i think it's a right nice looker. what are the grips made of ?

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Pretty good.... I think you're about ready to move on to something more challenging.

I did. I just came off a 2 week vacation. Aside from moving my new lathe into the basement, I spent every day engraving a Ruger New Vaquero. I really learned how to properly dub my graver. Got to where I didn't fracture my graver or have to resharpen on the flats. On recoil shields and cylinder was resharpening every 5-15 mins. Did the barrel last and had to resharpen 2x max when I first started it and finished the barrel without resharpening. The microscope helped more than I have words for, especially seeing micro fractures on the point. Eliminating all vibration helped a lot also. I engraved these pistols earlier in the year. Did the finish during my vacation also. The purple in the finish should morph into a blue black over the next few weeks.:thumbsup: The case colors were very vibrant with epoxy and did not match. Also masked the engraving so I stripped the epoxy and applied oil. Made both a more subdued color and engraving stands out better.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
the fotos reveal nothing terrible to my eye. matter of fact, i think it's a right nice looker. what are the grips made of ?

Monk thx.:rolleyes: If I took better pictures you would see all the wanky scrolls, uneven, varied depth shade lines. Crooked lines. Learned a lot about cutting straight lines on a curve. If I roll my graver perpendicular to the cut it will appear straight and of even width and depth. At the time I cut these I did not fully understand how to properly dub my point and didn't check my point frequently for micro cracks. I found the micro cracks cause loss of graver control.
The grip material is African black water buffalo horn. You can get it from Jantz. I was getting giraffe bone from Nico Bernard in Africa but have been waiting for over 2 years for my last order to be filled. I hope he's doing alright. If anyone in Africa has contact with Nico please let him know I have not been able to contact him or his representative here in the states and I hope he is doing well.:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Sponsors