Question: Platinum

pol

Hello all.
Does anybody have any tips for the best push-graver set-up for engraving platinum? I have always found it heavy going and now that there is little difference between the price of white gold & platinum, I am seeing more and more platinum work.
For me at least, platinum engraving is not one of life's great joys.
Thanks for any assistance.
- Steve

eharman

There is a great amount of difference in price between gold and platinum for jewelry applications. Although they currently trade close in price that does not translate into alloyed jewelry being close in price. This is mostly due to the difference in purity. Most platinum alloys are 90-95% pure and gold alloys (the most common being 14k) are 58.5% pure. Some white golds are 18k (75%). Also, platinum is more costly to refine, so there is more cost when getting stock or grain for casting. And the same ring in good and plat, the plat ring weighs significantly more due to its density. Nevertheless, the geometry of the graver should probably stay very close the the 'universal' approximate 120 degrees, if that's what you are used to. There is no way to produce the same depth of cut and therefore quality of engraving when going from gold to plat while maintaining the same level of 'ease' of cutting unless you make cuts more shallow or add power (pneumatic). Or just take more breaks :)
Best of luck,
Eric

Latest posts

Sponsors