Platinum Ring Sizing Demo

Steveareno

Hi Guys

I thought this might be interesting if you haven’t seen a platinum ring sized with a laser. It’s me doing it. I really need a better camera for the close ups though and from camera to computer to YouTube the quality does suffer.

http://youtu.be/d99nYV_9eZo

Thanks for checking it out,
Steve

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Steve for sharing this, the ultmate solution for sizing platinum rings I think
The problem to me is still the costs of the laser equipment, if you have a small company the barrel is to high.
I still ¨fuse¨ the platinum with the flame and if you don´t have that many platinum you can´t affort laser.
I am aware you will use it for more purposes if you have the equipment in your workshop, its stays on my list....

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What about brands of laser welders.
Laser star top of the line? Or does it matter?

I have and use a laserstar everyday. We got it close to 10 years ago. I could live without it, but it sure is nice!!! I do a lot of platinum work, but I still use the torch for most sizings, as I can torch weld and finish the job faster this way. It really earns it's existence on reprong jobs and repairing casting issues.

Steveareno

I agree with Burt, been using it for 7 years. I have to say that when it comes to sizing an Opal Platinum ring or an Emerald Platinum ring it is the greatest tool going. We have 4 jewelers and it is running all day, I haven't tried other lasers but can say it is a very nice machine. The costs are coming down and they make desk top models now that are more cost effect.

Steve

Eddi

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Guys
Thanks for posting the video Steve.
I have been thinking about getting a laser, but I am having trouble comparing them. Which brand should I buy. Every company says they have the best one. Is there a website or a forum that compares different brands?

About your camera. I got a fairly cheap one that works quite well. It´s a JVC Everio with 40x optical zoom. The key is the optical zoom. I tried others with lower optical zoom but more digital zoom. They did not work.
Here are a couple of videos from that camera. See if you like the quality. Also, when you upload to youtube you can choose different quality, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgiPjkOlq9I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKVXHgYZFyw

Eddi

Steveareno

Thanks Eddi, I checked it out. I like your YouTube too.
As far as lasers go you could attend a jewelers trade show where the laser vendors will let you try them out and decide what you like best.

Shawn has a post going, Some Shade, and his video is really good, does anyone know what cam. he is using?
Steve

Eddi

Elite Cafe Member
I´m glad you like the video, Steve.
I live in Iceland, so there are no trade shows here for me to go to.
If anyone here knows about different laser brands, I would be very grateful for any info you can give me.

Eddi

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I only have experience with LaserStar. Whenever we've had an issue, they've managed to get us back into working very quickly. We had a bad circuit board that went up within the first couple of months. They fedex'd the part and walked us through installing it over the phone.

One suggestion, buy more power than you think you will need. You will wish you had it sooner than later!

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice demo, but unfortunate the close ups are too blurry to see. The laser must be a pleasure to have in your shop.

Latest posts

Sponsors