Critique Request Plat. ring with sapphire and diamonds

JakeW

I have been a jewelry designer and metalsmith for 17 years and 2 years ago took a class at GRS for engraving. I have really enjoyed hand-engraving and hope to continue to get better. I know my scrolls are not good but was hoping get some instruction on how to make them better and any other helpful hints. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC06375.jpg
    DSC06375.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC06353.jpg
    DSC06353.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 168

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think your scrolls look pretty good - and the overall engraving is great!

Looks to me like all you need to do is keep practicing.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
great ring. very nice scroll. as a matter of style, i don't really like the sharp corners at the ring bottom. having said that, i think you did an excellent job of turning the corners with your design. quite nicely done.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I think the design is fine, and the combination of florettes and the scrolls is well done. Exceptional mill graining.

That being said, the scrolls are almost a 'luminesque' style, no leaves but parallel bright cuts. It is a good idea, and one I have used, although not in platinum.

If you really want the scrolls to sing....

Send it to Sam!!LOL:):beerchug::):big grin::yes:yes

Two Claws

That passes the 'counter' test in my book, Jake. Deep engraving is a good choice on rings, considering the beating they are likely to get. The truth is, in my experience, that the subtle delicacy of fine shallow cut surface texturing usually just doesn't survive more than 5 or so years. Excellent control of your milgrain tool....nice and uniform without a lot of wobble. Keep it up! You inspire me to engrave more of those polished smooth surfaces! I'm fond of the various effects one can achieve with the liners in their various sizes. I'm a newbie around here...but have an awful long time on the bench. Actually.....it feels pretty dang good being a newbie....(I know I must be getting old when I start spouting crap like that!) Hey, I just thought of another benefit of really deep engraving on platinum.....(and now gold for that same reason).....you might actually 'earn' more in lemel than you charged for the engraving!

Last edited:

JakeW

Thanks for all the compliments. Diandwill could you elaborate a little? I guess I am a little slow and could use more explanation. I put corners on the ring bottom because the ring is top heavy and would want to spin on the finger. It weighed about 20 grams so it had a nice substantial feel to it. If you notice there is no hole under the sapphire because the stone was windowed and if you polish the metal under the stone it reflects the color of the stone back through it and that makes the stone so much better. As for my milgraining I take an inch off the milgrain tool and put it in my graver max and it hardly ever slips that way. If I put to much pressure on it and break the pin then I have some binding wire that is the right size and re-pin it. As soon as I finished it another customer saw it and now I am making one similar for her. I will post some pics of that one when it is done but it will be a while since I have not even started to carve the wax yet. Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Sponsors