Question: Pistol question.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all, I had a friend ask me about doing some engraving on the slide of a stainless steel 1911 style auto made by AMT. I checked the list and did not see it, my apologies if it's there and I missed it.
So here is the age old question, is it workable? Or is it one to stay away from? :thinking:
David.

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Hey David,
I engraved a AMT Hardballer frame and slide with deep 100% coverage. This 1911 engraved very well for being stainless. I would still do a test cut as they were made for many years and at different locations.

Hope this helps,

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm cutting 3 stainless 1911s right now in 416 stainless. If you happen to find out they were made in 416 you are golden. Tough but cuts well. One of the more pleasant stainless metals to cut.
Good luck and let us know. One more gun to add to the cut/don't cut list.
Layne

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks all, If I accept the job I will let you know how the work goes, defiantly do a test cut first before I start.
Thank you diandwill for the magnet test idea, I will put that to use.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Did a thread search and found this. Probably what I remember!

Cafe Member
Post Thanks / Like
Shawn,

This is information that I collection from some of the guys over the last couple of years and put it into a Word file on my PC. It may or may not help you. See below:

STAINLESS STEEL INFORMATION

- There are 2 basic types of stainless, 300, and 400 series. The difference is that one is, marstinetic, and the other is austinitic. That being said, what’s it mean?? OK here is the deal;

- 300 series is a stainless that has more Chromium and Nickel in it. It is used in places where corrosion can be a problem. Think all those stainless surfaces in a restaurant. Depending on the grade of the 300 series, as in 306, 308, 310, 316, they can run the gamit of soft to work, to non-machinable. Almost all of the 300 series is non magnetic. Also it is generally a bear to engrave, think carbide.

- 400 series is a stainless that contains more iron, than chrome and nickel. It is generally used in places for its easy machining, and its corrosion resistance. Some of the 400 series will rust if exposed to moisture long enough. Most of the 400 series steels are slightly magnetic. The GRS Key Fobs are made out of 416 stainless. The 400 series is hard to find, except in the knife maker supply area. Check the parts with a magnet. If it sticks you will probably be OK. Powderhorn

- 400 series stainless will rust and/or tarnish. It is not suitable for jewelry. A surgical grade stainless is best.... 303 preferably. It is hard to cut but the least hard of all 300 grades. Malouf

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Did a thread search and found this. Probably what I remember!

Cafe Member
Post Thanks / Like
Shawn,

This is information that I collection from some of the guys over the last couple of years and put it into a Word file on my PC. It may or may not help you. See below:

STAINLESS STEEL INFORMATION

- There are 2 basic types of stainless, 300, and 400 series. The difference is that one is, marstinetic, and the other is austinitic. That being said, what’s it mean?? OK here is the deal;

- 300 series is a stainless that has more Chromium and Nickel in it. It is used in places where corrosion can be a problem. Think all those stainless surfaces in a restaurant. Depending on the grade of the 300 series, as in 306, 308, 310, 316, they can run the gamit of soft to work, to non-machinable. Almost all of the 300 series is non magnetic. Also it is generally a bear to engrave, think carbide.

- 400 series is a stainless that contains more iron, than chrome and nickel. It is generally used in places for its easy machining, and its corrosion resistance. Some of the 400 series will rust if exposed to moisture long enough. Most of the 400 series steels are slightly magnetic. The GRS Key Fobs are made out of 416 stainless. The 400 series is hard to find, except in the knife maker supply area. Check the parts with a magnet. If it sticks you will probably be OK. Powderhorn

- 400 series stainless will rust and/or tarnish. It is not suitable for jewelry. A surgical grade stainless is best.... 303 preferably. It is hard to cut but the least hard of all 300 grades. Malouf

Thanks for the info, but if this right then?

Carlos De La O III

Latest posts

Sponsors