Pirates in the garage

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What can I say, they stormed in and me without my machete.

The first side is about finished and you can see what I'm thinking about for the other side.

I started this with my backup gravermax a few weeks ago when I had a student here. I have in the meantime been trying out an Enset system and much of the work on this piece since I posted the first photo some weeks back has been with the Enset.

The Enset is an interesting system. I have not used it a lot but here are my quick impressions.
-It is particularly good at stippling. I am speaking more in terms of stippling for use in bulino and creating tones. The slower speed capability allows one to calibrate the stroke speed with hand speed (movement) and lay down a pattern of marks that are quite uniform in spacing. If one is steady enough in the hand, it can look like a sewing machine. The spacing can be easily varied either by changing hand speed or by adjusting the stroke speed by pushing more or less on the pedal.
-I'm neutral at this point on whether this machine is an advantage for texturing relieved backgrounds in scrollwork. The exception may be when a beading punch is used. I haven't tried it so I simply have no opinion just a wonderment.
-It seems to work very well with sculpting. As you move over the work a nice uniform pattern of punch marks can be achieved. Adjusting hand or stroke speed as previously mentioned gives flexibily as to the look of the sculpted piece.
-The start up is different in feel and takes some getting used to. I have done very little scrollwork or shading of scroll with this system.
-At slower speeds I can see my progression marks. This leads me to think that this may be very beneficial in restoration work of older hand chased pieces or in new engraving that begs for the look of a hammered piece. I have always enjoyed seeing the tap marks of a hand chased piece and am intrigued with the possibility of creating that look in scroll.

If asked my advice it would be as follows. When hand control became available some took to it quite quickly and cannot imagine engraving without. Others saw advantages that gave them the motivation to stick with it until it became familiar enough to adopt it and then the group that saw advantages and tried it repeatedly but never felt comfortable with it and stuck with the pedal. I am one of the latter group. I see advantages and want it to work but apparently the way I engrave just isn't compatible and my toes know the pedal. If you are one who sees advantages to slower speeds, be willing to give this system some time to get used to it.

On another thread the question was posed whether this is a replacement for other systems. All of the major systems are quite different and have their advantages and disadvantages. If one can only afford one system then the only sensible thing to do is what Marty advised-try them and decide. The way you work and the techniques you use are unique to you and only you can decide what will work best. If you can afford more than one system this absolutely deserves a test run. It is the only machine that effectively utilizes slower stroke speeds. For some it will become a stand-alone system but for the majority I suspect it will likely be an additional system that offers a wonderful adventure in discovery and new techniques and capabilities.

Attachments

• DSC_0183.jpg
    DSC_0183.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC_0182.jpg
    DSC_0182.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 261

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
shiver me timbers, lee. sounds like your garage is a dangerous place to be. thankfully you finished this before thos nasty sailors showed up. aargh, matey

mrthe

Very Beautyfull work lee another great stuff from the " Garage" ! :)

Sponsors