Pictures or rules for Black Leaf drawing?

airscovell

I have studied Mr. Alfano's book, videos, Youtube videos, I have searched other books and designers also, and I can not make heads or tails of the Black Leaf style of design. What is the plant the Black Leaf is designed after? What are the rules for designing Black Leaf engravings? I know that some will say, it is a feeling, or it can be a multitude of things, I find that not to be solely true. There has to be a structure or plant that it is derived from right? If you draw a scroll which to this day I have not been able to find a plant that mimics a spiral scroll other than a fern that does not have the same leaves as a acanthus plant. Even went to the botanical place to ask. There are rules, that it seems are outlined by a few, if you break them, people are quick to tell you that you know nothing and study, but all they say is study this persons or that, I would like to know the origin and rules so that I can do much better. Can anyone give me some insight to my questions? You are all extremely good at what you do.
Thank you in advance,

Artist007

I wouldn't mind knowing technique "rules" for Black Leaf design myself. I haven't yet tried Black Leaf. I think it's a very beautiful style. I can, however, give you some artist names that would make for great reference material. Take a look at the art of these engravers:

Winston Churchill
Eric L. Gold
Steve J. Lindsay
Sam Alfano (as you mentioned)
Ron Smith
Barry Lee Hands
Robert G. Evans
Jim Blair
Christian DeCamillis

There are many other extremely talented engravers that I probably didn't mention, but the Black Leaf designs of these tend to grab my attention, especially Winston Churchill and Eric L. Gold. I know you asked for technique rules, but I hope this helps in some way.

airscovell

I wouldn't mind knowing technique "rules" for Black Leaf design myself. I haven't yet tried Black Leaf. I think it's a very beautiful style. I can, however, give you some artist names that would make for great reference material. Take a look at the art of these engravers:

Winston Churchill
Eric L. Gold
Steve J. Lindsay
Sam Alfano (as you mentioned)
Ron Smith
Barry Lee Hands
Robert G. Evans
Jim Blair
Christian DeCamillis

There are many other extremely talented engravers that I probably didn't mention, but the Black Leaf designs of these tend to grab my attention, especially Winston Churchill and Eric L. Gold. I know you asked for technique rules, but I hope this helps in some way.
Thank you, much appreciated

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if one looked carefully at maybe a hundred or so examples, one might somehow learn the "rules". jmho

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
The rules are dictated by nature, google acanthus leaves images, see if that helps. As an artist you tweak the plant to fit the space. Now google acanthus leaves fractals images. Have fun! Now the mundane part Google Guide For Drawing The Acanthus

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors