Pictorial: How I build a bright cut scroll

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
This also was posted on the Bits, Buckles & Spurs forum.
I use WD40 for lubrication. You can see the residue inside the cuts. I was too lazy to
clean up after each cut...would have taken forever to photograph this pictorial.

Greg Pauline

The Basic Bright Cut Scroll

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What a great tutorial, thanks for taking the time to post it. One day I'll get around to trying some bright cutting.

Perhaps you could show us the tools you use? Do you use a liner or single-point for the shading?

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Greg - thanks for another excellent tutorial. I moved a copy to the Tips archive. :)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Awesome tutorial, Greg! This clearly shows the progression of cuts and will be of great help to anyone interested in giving western brightcut engraving a try. I also like the fact that you V-cut the backbone of the scroll as opposed to wriggle cut. I don't dislike wriggling, but a V-cut is a nice variation.

Thank you again. / ~Sam
p.s. keep 'em coming!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It starts off so simple looking and somewhere along the way it just sort of explodes into a profusion of bright shiny lines.

Great tutorial! If I print this off and follow it I know I will be able to follow it.

Kind of like how in Ron's books he has you draw one simple line, then add another, then a bit over here and all of a sudden you've got a scroll.

It winds up looking complexly beautiful but if you know the steps you can dance the dance.

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
Greg,

Great pictures. Thanks . it really shows the progression, but I'm still puzzled about the way to start.

I've hear the terms forward cut & back cut used with this style referring to the which edge of the flat graver you are using. I can never figure out which is which, or which to start with. Does it depend on which direction you are cutting?

Or, is it a matter of preference? Is the lubrication Necessary to get the bright effect?

I also like the V cut, since I'm not very good at controlling my wriggle cuts yet.

I really like this style but can't seem to get it right!

Thanks again.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
bright cut tutorial

ditto from me. an excellently prepared tutorial. for those of us tryin to learn this fascinating art. thanks be to ya !

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
As a new person here I'm always encouraged to search instead of ask questions. Here is what I find on a lot of searches here. No pics!!! the tutorials that us new folks can learn from without sending someone a check seem to be the ones with the pictures gone for some reason lol. Can these pics be brought back?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
One of the reasons that they may be gone is simply that he is gone. He died last year...

Someone on here may have kept copies of his images. It would be nice if they could repost them somehow - maybe send them to monk or Sam?

Greg Pauline was one of the best.

Brian

Last edited:

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry to hear of his passing. Several great tutorials are missing the photos, even in the tips section. Like you say Brian hopefully someone will repost them.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Am I the only one who can't see the photos? I've tried both Firefox and Explorer (the latter shows little "x"'s in place of the photos). And I can't locate the tutorial in "Tips", either. Am I just old and slow?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
When posting photos, if the poster uploads them to the forum they will always be here.

If photos are hosted offsite like Flickr or Photobucket and their account is closed, the photos will be gone and their links will no longer work...meaning you won't be able to see them.

Moral of the story: Upload photos to be sure they will be viewable forever.

I'm sorry that I don't have time to copy, properly archive, and fix every broken photo link. I wish I could but it's just not possible. If someone would like to take on that job let me know.

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
I understand Sam. Hopefully someone has them saved. It would seem something that makes it to the tips section here would have been good enough for someone to save it anyway.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
The tutorial might be nice. . .if I could see it! Just a title, followed by empty space, no links, nothing. How come others out there can see something I can't?