Pheasant

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Been plugging away at that pheasant for a couple days, trying to come close to the way Chris dose it, got his casting and DVD. I think I am still cutting heavy and that pecking out small dots will need a lot of practice. Mine sure isn't the trophy king but probably make good roast and fly's ;)

I did shoot myself in the foot on that project, since the plate I used is some of the nasty stainless (304) thought it may be ok for bulino but it sure isn't kind to your point specially when trying to peck out dots.

Peter

P1070272.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i like the bird. test ss with a common magnet. if it sticks, it will usually engrave. if no stick, it has the harder stuff in it and way less iron. working this stuff will make you a much better sharpener, because you'll get lots of practice

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not bad at all Peter, I think it's your first attempt, right?
Perhaps a little more dots or dashes at the breast to make it a little darker would give the bird a more rounded form, just a thought.
But it has been well spended time you did there.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not bad at all Peter, I have Chris casting like this as well, I will have to give it a try one of these days too.

thanks for showing

arnaud

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for commenting and also for the clicks.

Monk,
That was a sharpening exercise on the side, not to bad but it was pretty easy to chip a point in that stuff.

Willem,
I tried a bit of Bulino some time back but noting that complex. Still lots of places I am not happy with, over cut some of the edges, a bit flat but I might go back in and see if I can give it a bit more dimension. Just start over on some nicer material and see if I can improve.

steelhouse,
Thanks with a bunch more practice it might be something for a shotgun.

Arnaud,
It sure made it easier doing the pheasant having the casting to see how Chris cut this..... still many hours of practice poking dots and cutting fine lines before I will figure that out. Still was fun to do.

Peter

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Darn good, Peter,

For first try. Alain L's good tip, is to always under do the cuts, keep it light, as you can always darken and deepen later, but you cannot lighten your cuts later. I have not been very successful with bulino, and want to spend more time with it. A while back, I posted a few lines about using Chris' casting, which comes with no inking, as inking will fill up the important tiny cuts and dots. However, if you grind up some charcoal dust and use a fine paint brush, you can temporarily dust down the casting and, like lightening, the full art will clearly reveal itself, allowing you to see a sense of the finished piece. Later you can wash out the dust, and examine Chris' cuts once again under the scope.

Me, I am going nuts, doing the final voicing of a flute going to the Conservatorio of Cremona, Italy. I want to be the best I can do, since sending musical instruments to Cremona is like sending coals to Newcastle, it is famous for Stradavari's home town, so I am a bit nervous, and want it to be especially good. The silver and gold engraved key turned out pretty good, but it is the sound that counts.

Stay in touch, Peter!

Rod

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Rod,

Chris says the same thing on his video. Right of the start I cut some of the edges to have but on the rest I followed that same idea, tried to anyways. It was a good learning experience and probably will take a lot of time to master that but its fun trying to get there.

I remember your post about darkening, I did that with that casting but used some fine ground pencil lead, that pencil lead is a bit more permanent on that casting, on an other one I tried it on it will rinse of easy but not on that one. No scope on my end I only got a loupe.

I am sure Stradavari be real happy to play one of your flutes, but I know what you mean, there is that extra bit of pressure where you want to push your craft just a bit behound what you think it is possible.

Peter

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Arnaud and Willem.

Willem, The stainless plate was rater nasty but in the silver you got to watch so you don't go to heavy.

Peter

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i like the second one better. it doesn't seem to have the harsh looking black on the birds' body.

Latest posts

Sponsors