Peony pendant in shakudo, gold & copper

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Jim for explaining the different steps. The close up indeed shows better the texture made by the way you “polished” it.
I also use brushes powder and water, but mine are from goat hair, never heard of horsehair brushes.

I already wrote about that one “scratch” Am I right it is the Japanese way to add an imperfection to make it perfect?

arnaud

Thanks Arnaud. The Japanese use horsehair and human hair, maybe goat too, I don't know. We could try monkey too :-0
The scratch represents a single rain-drop.

Jim

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
thank you Jim this thread is everytime more interesting and i'm going to learn a lot from this, one question , shakudo only is copper more gold? i have read time ago that was make with silver too, sorry for asking but i'm a jewelery maker and is veryinteresting for me know more about that.
thank you another time
Thanks mrthe,
Essentially shakudo is copper/gold. It can be as little as 2.5% gold. Sometimes traces of silver can be found and it is sometimes made with kuromido which contains arsenic(not recommended). I always use only copper and gold for shakudo except some very rare material my teacher gave me in Japan.

The copper/silver alloy is known as shibuichi. Sometimes in it you find minute traces of silver lead and others. Sometimes those were added but also may remain as constituents of unrefined copper. Little traces of other metals can make substantial difference in the patina color.

More information here:
http://www.jimkelso.com/japanalloys.htm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors