Penholder

santos

Elite Cafe Member
My grandson Clément, 6 years old, learns to write at school. A week ago he got a try with one of my oblique penholders.
He was writing for the the first time with a nib and ink and he was very pleased with this kind of writing. So I have turned for him in my lathe a penholder shorter and thinner than mine .
penholder.jpg
The materials are : ebony , pear tree,mammoth ivory for the ring and titanium for the flange. There is a bit of engraving on the flange

This morning I have writen a few monograms to try Clement's penholder

I hope he will use this stuff later, instead writing with his thumbs, but I'm pessimist ...;)
penholder 1.JPG

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great Job:clapping:
Although I failed cursive in the 6 grade with a dip pen :beatup:
It is real nice to see that they are still teaching it somewhere. Not in the Lost USA

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, nice looking pen, I am sure yout Grandson will love it. A tool made by hand is always the best, it has a feel not obtainable with factory made.
Plus they are much more valued than store bought. As you can tell I love hand made tools.

scott99

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've seen these calligraphy pen holders before and always wanted to ask, "Why is the nib offset to the left like that?". As a pen and ink artist for years, I was used to using various steel nibs but they were always on a straight holder.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Doc, if you go to "Zanerian.com", and spend time with the various links, you'll get answers. The nib angularity has to do with seeing your work, wrist angle and natural motion, line continuation, and paper angle. My cursive 2nd grade class was with hypodermic-sharp nibs, oak & cast iron desk, complete with corked glass bottle ink well. Didn't work, unless you had a bomb disposal touch. They still teach cursive in the Old Country. I'm glad to see the young lad at the desk, and if he likes it, he'll learn and be way ahead of others. The cursive guys have a guild, like engravers, and you'll be awed at what you see.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i must say a rather beautiful job. i, too, was classically trained with the pen. i found far more interesting things to dip in the inkwell , however ! pigtails amongst them.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good to see you teach your son nice handwriting. This was important at school when I was young. BTW nice pen holder!

arnaud

Andrew Biggs

Reminds me of my old school days. Moving from pencil to pen was a big step back then.

When I look at young people now, they hold a pencil/pen like they have arthritis in their fingers. It's painful to watch.

So when are you going to teach him the really, really, really important things in life???.........like fly fishing :)

Cheers
Andrew

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Thank You everybody :)
So when are you going to teach him the really, really, really important things in life???.........like fly fishing :)

Andrew
Dear Andrew, I only teach him essential things , like fishing, fly tying, drawing , writing and I try to teach engraving and guitar where I'm myself a beginner.
IMG_3075.JPG
IMG_3194.JPG IMG_1885.JPG
He has his own hammer, the little one on the left, and has engraved a titanium pendant for the mum's day, with his drawing.
P1020856.JPG
The engraving has some scratches but her mum cherised it very much and wears it everyday.
P1030292.JPG

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your son will not know how lucky he is until he has many more years behind him. To have a father with all this talent, willing to spend the time to teach him the arts is of immeasurable value. Enjoy him now, they do grow up quickly.

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Doc, thank you for the kind words ... I'm not his father , but his grand father .;)

I spent much less time with my two sons , so I'm trying to repair that with my three grandsons.

Have a nice day...

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
Now, this is amasing to see. Not just the fact that he is trying, but also, I have seen grown-ups who struggle to produce something half as good as what he is writing. Also, I think it is good of you to spend time with him to teach him these things, but I hope you also keep in mind that he is also beeing kind to you. There is no greater joy than having someone to carry on ones lifes work, and noone is better for that than a grandchild. I hope you continue to have this relationship, even when the lad becomes a teenager.

Heartwearming to see. Keep it up!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
as humans, the most important thing we'll ever do, is to include children in our lives, your passions, pains, and joy. this is how responsible people come to be that way. early on i took my kids out to the shooting range, taught them basic engraving, and a slew of other things. neither kept with the engraving, but that's ok. they found their own way to live life responsibly, and with a degree of self-induced success. i applaud you for spending time with this little guy. a real shame there aren't more people like you !

Latest posts

Sponsors