Pen plating 24k gold

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This thread relates to the piccolo I showed on another thread, however the subject here is pen plating. When I posted gilded flare cutting on a separate thread some time ago, a few asked, 'Would it not be better to pen plate each area of the object, and save some gold, and time?"

Answer, absolutely not, as it would be impossible, and take forever to try to pen plate each tiny cut, with no spillover. A surface of a couple of square centimeters, at the most, covered with 24k gold to a depth of seven millions of an inch is not a lot of gold bullion... do the math.

Now when it comes to gilding some silver rings on flutes or piccolos, rings that are glued onto the wood and hand turned in situ, well, that is a different matter, and pen plating is a good approach.

Not a good idea to put a wood flute joint, with silver ring attached, into a bowl of gold plating solution. Too much chance of contaminating the expensive solution.

Looking at my piccolo with gilded flare cut key, I thought I would have a try at pen plating the silver rings, then burnish the gold off the high points of the ornamental turning to give a silver gold mix that inflected towards the look of the key.

With a pen plating approach, the wood stayed out of the the main bowl of plating solution. I had to quickly rig up a way of supplying the electric polarity.... -4 volts DC to the silver ring, while it was rotating at a modest 200 rpm on the lathe. A simple slip ring was required, to touch against the ring.

A holder was sawn out to take the commercial pen plating anode ($15). You can use a clean wick, or felt, to dip into the solution, to load it with enough liquid to keep the silver ring whetted with gold carrying acid. My little makeshift holders have three super magnets glued to the base of the wood, and can be positioned easily.

The gold plating was noticed after about two minutes. I left it running on automatic for about ten minutes to give a nice flash look. Too much time leads to a matt gold finish...not good.

Natural daylight is best to see the results, but the sun has gone down, and shop lighting is not the best to show the results. You will have to believe me they are better in real life than shown here.

I think the pictures tell the rest of the story.
After plating all over, I fine sanded some parts back to silver to get that composite look.

P S By the way, my tailstock center is not made from pure gold, only brass. Why? When you are hand turning wood parts, from time to time the tool touches the center. A hard steel center will blunt the tool edge, but not a brass center. Sooner or later the brass center looks battle scarred, but it may be smooth turned good as new in a few moments.

Sorry, but I have not yet mastered getting the photos in correct order...?

Rod

Attachments

• IMG_4877.jpg
    IMG_4877.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_4876.jpg
    IMG_4876.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_4885.jpg
    IMG_4885.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_4884.jpg
    IMG_4884.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_4883.jpg
    IMG_4883.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_4873.jpg
    IMG_4873.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_4874.jpg
    IMG_4874.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_4886.jpg
    IMG_4886.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_4872.jpg
    IMG_4872.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Rod. This was very instructional. I might find a use for this technique someday.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That you, Beat and Eric,

For your kind words! Is it not a miracle, that we can all connect around the world... Russia, Texas, Northern California so fast and so easily, thanks to Sam and his moderator team!

best

Rod

BES

Elite Cafe Member
Of course!
Guys, it's cool that we can all communicate and share ideas!
Thank you Sam!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
an excellent, thought-provoking tutorial for sure. chock full of interesting possibilities for those of us with a lathe. is 200 rpm a requirement for the effect desired, or the lowest speed your lathe will go ? mine will go as low as about half an rpm if needed. btw, that is a very beautiful instrument. an artist created the instrument, another will play it.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks, Peter,

I enjoyed our telephone conversation, and thank you for sending on photos. I would like to get back up to your neck of the woods in British Columbia. Your spread looks great, and with views of the Fraser river. My blood runs cold when I remember running some fierce rapids on the Chilo river, and Hells Gate on the Fraser. How stupid we can be when we are young, but then we have our memories, and looks like I survived. A sweeter run was the forty mile canoe race in the lower Fraser, starting above Hope. I paddled in the mixed doubles event, and she was a looker. We came in forth, which pleased us. That happened because my lady team mate was a strong paddler, we made the choice of putting tradition aside, I paddled bow. That way, I did not have to make any 'J' strokes to correct direction, the strategy allowed us to leave stronger boats behind, but my goodness the flow of the Fraser is huge, and huge deep currents would boil up suddenly under the canoe making it scary. My preferred river run is one too small to drown you, technically interesting, and not a glacier melt-water stream, they are always freezing even in the height of summer.

Thanks for your nice comments, Monkster!

I have many lathes in my small shop, that Myford has fourteen speeds, from 2500 to 55 rpm if I use back gear, but the 200rpm is the lowest belt speed without back gear. Any low speed will work for the pen plating, low enough to avoid the gold solution from spraying off the workpiece. I have never heard of anyone pen plating on a revolving lathe before... may have started a new approach?

In the final analysis, the piccolo has to always play better than it looks, and this I will find out when it reaches Rio de Janiero around Christmas.

Rod

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You certainly are a clever one, Rod. And yes, you're probably the world's first lathe pen plater! The end result is stunning, and I'm sure an anxious customer awaits this beautiful instrument. What a Christmas present he'll have!

mrthe

Great Post thank you! ,i don't know if i miss this info,what type of solution do you use in this work?

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
'...running Hell's Gate....'

Twelve of us whitewater kayakers rented a rubber air inflated craft, long and narrow, and with canoe blades, and no power assist, set off on a definitely one-way trip. Only afterwards did we find out that some others rented the same craft the week before, and got killed in Hell's Gate. I paddled left-side stern. It is such a massive flow, and way too fast for the salmon to fight, I think about 200,000 cubic feet per second, as compared with Grand Canyon, at about 15,000. We folded the craft like a pocket knife in one of the worst holes, it righted its shape downstream. We all had skills, but only a huge amount of luck and good fortune got us through. I would have said it was a typical dumb and dumber guy stunt, but there were two women on board.

No more of that, I have already used up too many of my allotted nine lives...

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if the recipient of the instrument can make sound better than what you have created here-- must be one very great musician.

Sponsors