Panerai 114 watch engraving

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi guys, here's another watch I recently finished and which hopefully will soon be able to be seen in it's complete state at the Kindler & Thorpe website. As Panerai have always had strong links with the Italian navy we decided to go with a nautical theme and chose Neptune.

Either side of the crown there was a small panel in which I just about managed to put a profile of Neptune in one, and his son Triton in the other. The long side has a grotesque of Neptune supported by two 18th century style dolphins.

Finally, I decided to keep the bezel fairly simple as I thought it too easy to over egg the pudding if it was too fussy. It has a repeat pattern of tridents (representing Neptune) and stylised conch shells known as Triton's Trumpet. It was by blowing one of these that Triton raised or calmed the seas.

Hope you like it. By the way, all the other watches I've done are now fully assembled and can be viewed at the K & T website if you so choose.

Attachments

• PanNeptune_3.jpg
    PanNeptune_3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 211
  • PanNeptune_1.jpg
    PanNeptune_1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 235
  • PanNeptune_4.jpg
    PanNeptune_4.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,
You sure achieved a lot of elegance in such a tiny, tiny space.
A lovely legend of the sea for this watch.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Marcus

The watches you are engraving look fabulous!!!!

They are an interesting and challenging canvas at times and it's pretty amazing how much you can actually cut on such a small surface.

Cheers
Andrew

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wonderful Marcus! I like all of it, but particularly the concept of the Trident-Trident Shell alternating border. Very Clever!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Marcus, this is especially nice! I love the motif. I'm really glad to see you taking off on these watches. :beerchug:
Panerais are some of the most popular watches made and I'm sure the collectors will love this.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for your kind remarks guys. You are right Andrew about watches being "a challenging canvas" and yes, you can fit a surprising amount of detail in such a small area, thanks mainly to the microscope.

This is still very much a new venture as I've said before Sam, and in some ways I think we jumped the gun with Rolex guys only being able to see the Milgauss and judging what we do by that watch. For example, if you were to see the pink gold and steel Datejust on the wrist (as opposed to a photo) it just quietly whispers "Understated class and unique!" It is gorgeous, if I say so myself, and would be something that I would be happy to wear on a daily basis. This, as well as the other models we are embellishing, is starting to build into a much broader collection which should hopefully appeal to a variety of tastes. Fingers Xed. I loved working on the Panerai and am starting to be swayed by them to be my first 'high end' watch. I'm saving up and I've already sown the seeds in the Mrs' head that I will be getting one soon.:cool:

BTW there are now preview pics on the website of the Panerai; better than my hand held snaps.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Marcus: I added Kindler & Thorpe's photos to the front page article. They're really nice and clear.

I also noticed the beautiful graphic on their website entrance. They have impeccable taste!

~Sam

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I've already sown the seeds in the Mrs' head that I will be getting one soon.:cool:

QUOTE]

Bad move :beat up:

You have given her ammunition to badger you to buy all kinds of more useful stuff ££££`s later.

Just hope she forgets while you spin some story about getting an old watch cheap & having it done up like new ;)

Sponsors