Overlays

Kowboyjohn

I’m a very small part time buckle maker. Having a hard time finding overlays for my buckles. Any one have a place they get theirs from. Only looking to buy one or two of the same ones at a reasonable price. Thanks for your help.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i cant answer yer question. i'm curious--- do you engrave on any of your buckles? if so, send us a few fotos.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, I have the same question. I have look for gold charms like those used on bracelets. I believe if I am working in sterling, I should keep the quality up by using gold for overlays. Purchasing a small piece of gold to cut out an overlay leaves waste to recycle and it gets expensive. You usually loose when you recycle precious metals unless you hold on to it until the price goes up.

I haven't found any charms that are suitable. There must be some that come from good jewelry suppliers. The charms work well on bolos, but not quite suitable for buckles.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Id pierce them out .on silver Id use red brass looks pretty much like gold when polished. Engraves easy too, superior to yellow brass imho.
pictured is red brass brooch IMG_0896.jpeg

Kowboyjohn

I make western buckles . So I need overlays of horses , cows and big game animals. Back in the 80s, 90s I bought them from Arley Grubb of Arizona , but he isn’t doing casting anymore.

Latest posts

Sponsors