Our friend Ray Viramontez

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Good news!
Our friend and fellow engraver Ray Viramontez is healthy and well.
It had been posted on some forums that he was sick, not true.
I talked with Ray on the phone for about an hour today.
The big storm gave him a break, no damage at his place.
He was out in his shop working on gold and silver orders.
For more than twenty years Ray supplied my students with a great little pure silver kit for practicing inlay.
Ray is one of the best suppliers of precious metal, if you didn’t know, and a great gentleman.
He can be reached at SGTVIRA@aol.com if you need supplies.
John B.

loyd freeman

Ray ia well and kicking

I too talked to Ray yesterday and he has had the flue and even heard that he was dead but not true. Boy !how things can be blown out of the sky. Ray is a true gentleman.Loyd

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
That's very good to hear John. Thank you for the update. I haven't spoken to Ray on the phone for some time but I do email him on occassion. Actually, my most recent order should arrive in the morning. If I remember correctly I believe that Ray named that little silver kit after a good friend of mine. I still have a few bits and pieces left in the "Bearclaw" kit that I got right after your class. David

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I too am glad to hear that Ray is fine! A few weeks ago, after I posted some inquiries about inlay, it was suggested that I purchase my materials from Ray. He talked to me for over 40 mins. and gave me some great hints. He is a true gentleman and a fine artist! Good to hear that his ailment was another urban legend.

Mark

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Can someone invite Ray to the Cafe? I'd be happy to do it but I won't be home for another week. If someone has an email address for him I'll drop him an invite by email (PM it to me, please).

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
John B...Glad to hear that Ray is okay...Sam you are right he is a "Real Gentleman"..havn't talked to him in a while, but I have called him on many occasions for advice on different projects and he always had time, and his communication skills over a telephone were amazing.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

SGTVIRA

first i guess i should say that i am 74 years old. and am enduring stuff that comes when you get this age. but nothing that should send me off in the near future, if i ever start feeling sorry for myself, i just go to my chiropractors parking lot and sit for 15 minutes. it's amazing the problems some people have that are a heck of a lot worse than any problems i have. the best thing that came out of this posting is i heard from friends that i haven't heard from for a long time. (one i hadn't heard of for 30 years.) about 5 years ago, a person came up to me and said he hear i was dead. Guess i have been around a long time. anyway, thanks for the concern. it's nice to have good friends. and thanks for the kind words that have been said.
have always said one of the best things about engraving is the people you get to meet.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hey Ray.
Good to hear from you and welcome to the Cafe.
It's filled with the good people you speak about.
For those that don't recognize his logo, SGTVIRA is the great engraver and all-around good guy Ray Viramontez.
Welcome Ray and let's hear more from you.
John B.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I posted this on the FEGA forum but thought I should add it here. Way back when Ray had Hand Engravers Supply, I ordered some stuff from him and he said "hey, a few of us just started this guild you might be interested in"....... That was early 1982 I think.
Glad to see your name here on this forum Ray! Don't be a stranger.
I still remember and tell my students one of the best things I learned from you drawn on the back of a cocktail napkin during an "after show" learning session. You drew a scroll backbone and told me to imagine a scroll much like you were standing at the top of a spiral staircase and looking down. The light went on after that!

monk

Staff member
sgtvira

first i guess i should say that i am 74 years old. and am enduring stuff that comes when you get this age. but nothing that should send me off in the near future, if i ever start feeling sorry for myself, i just go to my chiropractors parking lot and sit for 15 minutes. it's amazing the problems some people have that are a heck of a lot worse than any problems i have. the best thing that came out of this posting is i heard from friends that i haven't heard from for a long time. (one i hadn't heard of for 30 years.) about 5 years ago, a person came up to me and said he hear i was dead. Guess i have been around a long time. anyway, thanks for the concern. it's nice to have good friends. and thanks for the kind words that have been said.
have always said one of the best things about engraving is the people you get to meet.

it's been long , long days pal. i can't recall the year and you probably don't remember giving me advice over the phone a couple or 3 times. i had almost no clue what or how to do this stuff. i can't remember what mag- there was a feature
article about your work and i decided to call you- and what a great and helpful guy you were ! i'd simply like to thank you in front of all the people here-- thanks for helping a newbie way back when ! monk

Latest posts

Sponsors