Osborne dagger

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a knife I just finished for John Hanlon. The background is pink gold, which as we all know is no picnic to inlay. The dot count on the bulino work ranges from 50,000 dpi to 120,000 dpi(not exaggerating) all individually hand cut, not stipple punched, etched or anything like that. Even under moderate magnification the dot matrix remains at grey tone rather than becoming individual. Don't ask how long it took, it was pretty much forever.

and the close-up

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Outstanding work Brian.

The DPI is amazing. Considering most printers only can print at 1200 to 2400 DPI. I think about 800 DPI is considered photographic (??)

So "forever" sounds about right :)

Cheers
Andrew

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Brian,

Very nice work!

I was taught by Dario Cortini that a good technique for engraving hard surfaces such as metal was to use the line technique. Not the normal way but instead to cut lines following the contour of the object . it must be cut perfectly but the results are great. and the time is much faster

Here is a picture of what i am referring to.

One other question is why people have such a hard time inlaying red golds? I haven't found it to be a problem. I am curious about the technique people are using when they have difficulty. I have heard many say they find it more difficult.

Chris

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Superb! I especially like the gentleman on the left and the armor. Foreshortening can be tricky and you did it well.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

You are firing on all cylinders, as ever, with this splendid piece. We have come to expect you to continue to raise the bar, and you do with every commission you share with us. This is all well above my pay grade in excellence, but at least I can observe and appreciate. I can imagine that there are so many aspects to the whole project that could go wrong ... concept, initial art work ideas and sketches, taking the chance with foreshortening, that Lee wrote about, the delicate art nouveau scroll work, gold inlay, and finally the dot bulino .... all in a tiny canvas.

The gold inlay background of Roman Coliseum is beautifully subtle . It is all there when you fix your eye on its details, yet it does not grab attention away from the foreground warriors.

Another thing that always impresses me is that you have come through and still practice your other trades, blacksmith, saddle maker, bright cutter, etc.

We are holding up very high score cards!

Rod

Last edited:

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Bravo Brian,

that's a very fine piece.
I am not a big fan of dots engraving but I must admit that this one is really impressive.
As Rod said, you are raising the bar!
Alain

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, always a pleasure and great study with every piece you complete, thank you for the inspiration. I would like to know what sort of counter you've attached to the tool tip? ;) I would hate to have to recount the numbers. I guess watching the grass grow would be some relief to you!
Best regards,
Mark

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
You bet Mark, a six pack, some freshly watered lawn grass and you have yourself a party......... when compared to cutting endless amounts of dots. Counting is something I do to occupy my mind while cutting large areas of the same tone, because there is nothing else to really to think about except for maintaining even spacing throughout the area. It is kind of like driving on long stretches of straight road through the desert.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments. B.

Latest posts

Sponsors