Question: Ordering GRS equipment outside the US?

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Has anyone outside the US tried to order through GRS recently?

I placed an order through their website yesterday, only to be told, it needed to be processed through the UK distributor!

Any enlightenment out there?

Jo

mrthe

From heare in spain , ever had be in this way, luckly the european dealer was Jordi a friend heare in barcelona, unluckly all is the 30/40 % more expensive in this way, actually Jordi is not more the dealer for europe , recently GRS had make some changes the new dealer come from suisse and maybe if after UK was out of this restriction , now is like in spain, if you want something from his catalog you have to contact the uk distributor and convert the prices in £,if something cost 12$ for example you will pay it 12£ more tax :(

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Jo: If you can't buy locally, I believe Rio Grande ships worldwide. Check out their site. They are one of the largest jewelers supply companies in America and their prices are usually quite good.

RioGrande.com

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
Otto Frei are also pretty good at shipping to the UK.
Sutton Tools are the UK distributor; their prices have come down a bit recently (but more would be nice!). It would also be nice if they carried a more comprehensive collection.

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jo, try phoning them direct. I know someone who just got a GraverMach AT shipped across. It arrived last week but the order took nearly 6 weeks for some reason. I know they will sell to engravers direct but if you're in the jewellery trade you have to go through Suttons (or this is how it was at one time).

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
It does save a headache ordering via a tool house that deals with GRS.
There are a few about in the EU besides sutton tools, dont be afraid to order from them as it`s just as easy.

Last edited:

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys,

Will take a look at Jordi, Rio Grande and Otto Frei as alternatives.

I have happily dealt with GRS direct since 2009, and have spent a considerable amount with them.
(Microscope / Acrobat / Power hone & laps / books / dvd's and various accessories)

About a month ago, I contacted Otis with regards to buying a turntable.
Unfortunately, the cost of shipping was very high. ($107 on a $250 item!)
I know the turntable's relatively heavy, but Jeez, that's steep!
Out of curiosity, I costed the same weight & size item to send from here in the UK to Emporia,
with same tracking etc, it came out around $65.
I asked GRS if there was a cheaper shipping method, to which the reply was no!

Based on that, I decided to 'make do' with what I have for now, and told Otis that the shipping charges prevented me from going ahead with the order.

And now, after placing an order through their website, Otis tells me I have to go though the UK distrubutor!?!

Personally, I think I may have ticked him off! (edited: apparently not) ;)

I have dealt with suttons on minor things in the past.
Again, unfortunately, on top of their high prices, their stock level is pretty non existent,
therefore delivery takes as long as it would direct, and their website is fairly bad.
No pics of the items you want, and not much of a description either.
A lot of the grs items aren't even on the their website. Arrrrggh!

Jo

Last edited:

mrthe

Jo the problem is that the distribuitors ,haven't a stock,have to orders items from emporia,waith the shipments and after send to you,with the recharges for tax vat and shipment costs more the % of the distributor,definitly for us heare in europe ,too expensive and slow.
Is a pain

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
But the distrubutors don't pay retail prices GRS state. Surely they get a discount on the items.
Also, as they order a lot more than individuals, shipping costs would be somewhat more... reasonable! ;)

mrthe

I don`t know how is the question exactly,i only know that i have buy from the GRS distributor the standard vise plus all the attachments a year ago,and cost to me a years ago 580 euros more vat around 680 euros at the actual exchange are 892 $ i don't know the price that grs in emporia sell it but for example follow the Sam's link riogrande sell the same for 480 $........a little difference?
P.S
isnot a critique ,i know and respect the work of the distibutors that have to eat too but the 100% plus of difference is too much for my economy ;)

Last edited:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wrote my distributor what I like to have and tell him the prices in US dollars (with the link to the GRS site) in hope he will charche reasonable prices.
I don't know yet because I am still waiting, it"s what MRTHE says they haven't a stock but if you tell them you can wait untill they have a large order then they might divide the shipping costs.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Awwwww, Sam... what have you done suggesting Rio Grande!?!
What a BRILLIANT site! It has everything imaginable, plus more!
And you were spot on about prices. They're not far off GRS.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :banana::thumbsup:

Right, me and my bank card are off... we may be some time! ;)

Jo

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Awwwww, Sam... what have you done suggesting Rio Grande!?!
What a BRILLIANT site! It has everything imaginable, plus more!
And you were spot on about prices. They're not far off GRS.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :banana::thumbsup:

Right, me and my bank card are off... we may be some time! ;)

Jo

Good news, Jo! They are a great company and really fine people. Glad to hear you found what you need at prices that are more comfortable :)

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Jeroen,

Have been stung once or twice with that one. Did get away with in once though, in a fairly large order.

Some you win, some you lose.

Jo

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shipping from Emporia to the UK and Europe is expensive but it can't beat this. While I was at the FEGA convention in 2010 I ordered one (1) C-Max graver blank. When I received it they had charged me $16.00 for shiping something that weighs a fraction of an ounce from Kansas to Kentucky. Had they placed it in an envelope and mailed it to me it would have cost 45 cents.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Jo, Sometimes you can get around the import fee by getting used equipment. If interested, you can buy anything, have them ship it to me, and I will use it for a year or two, then, when it is properly used, I will ship it on to you! No need to thank me, I would do that for almost anyone! LOL
Will

mrthe

Shipping from Emporia to the UK and Europe is expensive but it can't beat this. While I was at the FEGA convention in 2010 I ordered one (1) C-Max graver blank. When I received it they had charged me $16.00 for shiping something that weighs a fraction of an ounce from Kansas to Kentucky. Had they placed it in an envelope and mailed it to me it would have cost 45 cents.

16$ for ship a graver? Wow!!!

Jeroen

Jo, Sometimes you can get around the import fee by getting used equipment. If interested, you can buy anything, have them ship it to me, and I will use it for a year or two, then, when it is properly used, I will ship it on to you! No need to thank me, I would do that for almost anyone! LOL
Will

You are fooling, Will, but you're correct as well: I know about a Mercury Cougar 1968 that was imported from the USA here in Belgium as a wreck, and was one as well, except that it had all new chroom and gadgets and a brand new tuned engine... Value of that wreck: almost nothing, importtaxes: 33% of almost nothing...

Jeroen

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, congratulations... I think that probably 'black cats' most shipping charges! ;)

If interested, you can buy anything, have them ship it to me, and I will use it for a year or two, then, when it is properly used, I will ship it on to you! No need to thank me, I would do that for almost anyone! LOL
Will

Will, you are truly a warm and generous person for offering such a wonderful alternative! lol ;)

Jo

Latest posts

Sponsors